San Francisco Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SailNaked

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be in SF July 22 (TH) and could dive Friday & Sat, will have a car what is a poor diver to do? Do the seals bite? do I need a boat operator? should I drive someplace? how much rubber do I need?:D Help a dude out.

SailNaked:

Welcome to the bay area, check out the NorCal forum to find more info. IMO best bet would be Monterey 155 miles south, a little over a 2 hr. drive. This deep bay has lots of Marine life and several great shore diving sites. Boat trips are available. There are several good local dive stores with rental gear. A 7mm FJ suit w/hood and boots would be a wise choice.

I'm sure others will chime in. You are in for some world class diving.

Head to Monterey. It's about 100 miles South, but well worth the drive. I could likely get you on a private dive boat for even better diving in Carmel.

You'll need either a drysuit (preferred) or 7mm full suit and hooded vest. If you end up doing a boat dive, you'll need a jacket for the SI's, too.

Wife wants to drive Hwy 1 so Monterey it is, What is the actual water temp? I have a semi-dry 6.5mm good to about 60° but wife is going to have to rent. we have no Dry suit experience but I suppose someone could get us edijumacated quickly. might have 3 divers but definitely 2.:D

Usually low 50s (52-54). I've read as low as 46F at depth in Carmel. It's cold in a 7mm onepiece, but manageable.

Usually low 50s (52-54). I've read as low as 46F at depth in Carmel. It's cold in a 7mm onepiece, but manageable.

eeeh, you just need to kick really fast to get warm :coffee: or carry a thermos and poor the hot water in your wetsuit 60ft under (works like a charm) :rofl3:

We got 46F in Carmel Meadows on Tuesday, it's on the coldish side. Viz was around 30 feet in both Carmel Meadows and South Monastery.

Back
Top Bottom