San Diego dive buddy for some days in September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Slater, I completely agree! I appreciate all your input on this thread.

Keith,

Generally speaking, the "main kelp" West of the Cove is not dove from the Cove. It is a LONG kick out... and you find yourself DIRECTLY in the boating lanes, on the surface. Not a good place to be.

90% of the divers who enter via the Cove dive the Cove, buoy A or B area, or points NE or East (preserve area).

That being said, the "main kelp" can be good to dive and has several pinnacle/outcropping areas that are good on a good-vis day. Mostly arrived at via boat though.

By the way, there is plenty of kelp to be encountered within the Cove area... especially out by Buoy A. No need to make the very long trip out to the "main" kelp if all you want is a "kelp experience".

Bill

Bill you have your views but were not talking about the main body of kelp on the outside in boat traffic area, we are discussing within the cove...
The kick is no further than diving the shores.

Rocio & Kerstin arent on a boat dive here.... Bouy B?
Think bouy A the larger bouy your discussing is on the outside edge of the kelp & ya, thats a bit far & un necessary as theres lots of kelp stringers within the cove...
La Jolla Cove, California. - YouTube

Attachments

• la-jolla-underwater-park.gif
    la-jolla-underwater-park.gif
    53.9 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Looks like I will be diving off the Marrisa on Friday, 9/27.
I replied initially thinking we were diving the same day, but we are a week apart.

My wife and I will be diving from Marissa tomorrow, 9/20. It is a great operation.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions about the boat or local boat dive sites. I don't dive locally from shore anymore.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for contributing here.

I will be diving off the Marrisa on Friday the 26th but unfortunately have yet to line up a buddy for Thursday.

I would really like to dive La Jolla Cove on Thursday but honestly, I would be willing to dive anywhere if a can find a buddy to join me.

So hopefully someone will step forward and want to dive on Thursday!

Keith, can't help you with a buddy on Thursday, but looks like I'll be meeting you on Friday on the Marissa. My wife and I will be the couple from Minnesota. Looks like a fairly small group, as of right now, if their website if up to date.

If anyone local is reading this, would love to hear what conditions are like right now - both viz and bottom temps. We'll be at the kelp beds.

James

Keith, can't help you with a buddy on Thursday, but looks like I'll be meeting you on Friday on the Marissa. My wife and I will be the couple from Minnesota. Looks like a fairly small group, as of right now, if their website if up to date.

If anyone local is reading this, would love to hear what conditions are like right now - both viz and bottom temps. We'll be at the kelp beds.

James

Yes, looks like a small crowd, I sure hope they don't cancel!

I sent them an email yesterday regarding their minimum number of divers and they have not responded.

Look forward to meeting you!

Keith, If you signed up with Power Scuba then you probably saw the Thrusday La Jolla Shores dive - Thursday Sept 26th at 6:00pm, La Jolla shores. You don't need a buddy, there will be people there to buddy up with.

Thanks, I appreciate that. Yes, I saw that too.
But... I am down there with a non diving girlfriend and my options for diving are Thursday and Friday during the day.

You do have to have some balance, if you know what I mean.

I must say though, it has been MUCH easier to get a dive buddy in Nor Cal when I needed one.

Not exactly current, and different dive sites, but last Friday on the Yukon from Marissa, bottom temp first dive was 53f at 101fsw viz 25'. Second dive the viz was more like 20'. Third dive (Ruby E) temp at 83fsw was 52f, viz 20' lots of particulate.

Not exactly current, and different dive sites, but last Friday on the Yukon from Marissa, bottom temp first dive was 53f at 101fsw viz 25'. Second dive the viz was more like 20'. Third dive (Ruby E) temp at 83fsw was 52f, viz 20' lots of particulate.

Thanks, JT. That's colder than I was expecting. Last time I was in CA, I was at Catalina and bottom temps were in the 60s. But I guess last year was an unusually warm one.

James

Back
Top Bottom