San Andres trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frogxman

Contributor
Reaction score
Just got back from San Andres Island (Colombia). Crazy time, beautiful place, good diving.
There is a direct flight from Toronto (it was delayed but anyway it is convenient). The landing strip is short and starts/ends in the sea. I wonder what if the breaks are faulty or pilot misses landing just a bit :eek:.
There is a number of hotels on the island. We were staying in a very nice hotel Decameron San Luis built in kind of traditional caribbean stile. Good beach, great for snorkelling. A lot of activities: windserfing, kayaking etc. The diving was organized through San Andres Divers operator owned by 3 sisters. They and all the staff are very friendly and professional.
The diving itself was very good. The corals look very healthy and there is a lot of fish. We had a chance (especially at night) to see some rare species like flying gunard for example. Weird. Lots of stingrays, and the usual stuff like turtles, barracudas, octopusses, squid, eels, lobsters etc.
My camera didn't work (what a disappointment ;-0 ) but instead I had a chance to shoot a video with club's underwater video camera. We even shot the night diving by mounting several flashlights on the video housing with a duct tape (always with me). Worked great.
And the evenings and nights were full beach parties, reggae, coctails and just fun.
I will repeat the words said by somebody before - the island is very authentic, probably like caribbean many years ago.
Very recommended.

I am organizing a trip to San Andres Island out of Toronto, for November or early December. If you are interested in good diving and fun, PM me.

Can either of you recommend a particular dive operator? We are going to San Andrés for the end of May 2004 and we were thinking of using Buzos del Caribe or Karibik Diver.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

frogxman:
Just got back from San Andres Island (Colombia). Crazy time, beautiful place, good diving.
There is a direct flight from Toronto .

How great is that? Direct flight no less!

Keep us all informed on SB as to your trip. The 'rules' about posting trips have been loosened, so you'll be able to tell any and all about the possibility.

I haven't been to San Andres in many years- looks like you can still have a great time! :wink:

Thanks for the great report.

I have been there two times stayed at the Lord Pierre and the Aquamarine, liked it better. Did not dive was with a "friend" from Bogota'. Was told the diving was not great found that hard to believe came from one source. Glad to hear other wise. Anyone go to or dive Providencia? Going back some time and will take dive gear this time. I never saw a American there but alot of Canadians you guys can fly there direct. I always went thru Bogota' and picked up "friend". Bogota' is a aquired taste and needs to be approached with alot of caution, some street smarts, and a little luck.

Domino

Thanks for the input. We will be going to Bogotá and San Andrés this May. What are your thoughts on US citizens venturing north from Bogotá up into Boyacá?

On San Andrés, are you familiar with Hotel Los Delfines? We have reservations there but the price seems too low.

Pete

Los Delfines is a simple motel on the water, right beside the Lord Pierre, in town. Very good choice for diving as you get what you need and you don't pay for frills you won't use.

Frequented by Colombians on holiday, it is very inexpensive and clean.

The price in November 2003 was 40,000 CP or $18 Canadian.

I am sure some of the rooms could use some renovation, and they were renovating some of the bottom rooms when I was there. For that price, I had a 2 room suite with kitchenette overlooking the pool.

That price includes coffee and eggs breakfast, nothing fancy, and dinner, which is usually fried fish or chicken with rice.

A beer was 1000 CP or 40 cents. Yeah, it's cheap alright. No hidden tricks. It is just a great deal. They really take care of you if you are friendly. I always make sure I tip each person a small amount even the cooks inside the kitchen hut.

Well if you go to Boyaca it may be a one way trip! "That 3 billion the USA gave to Colombia was not to fight cocaine it was to stop the FARC. They do not want another Nicaragua down there. And the FARC is not happy that we gave their enemy those gun ships and attack helicopters, not too mention we trained them on all these death machines. I was in a restaurant in Bogota' one night in a out of the way place and saw about 10 Americans all in their twenty's with one Colombian man. I had not heard that much english in ten day's and talked to one of the men, asled what they were doing in Bogota' and he said "just passing thru" all air force and they were doing what I stated earlier. I do not get in any taxis off the street or from the airport. Always call for a taxi and give a name. Then send out the waiter or someone to talk to the taxi driver and see what name he gives you. Not sure about hotel Los Delfines but I think I ate there one time. Lord Pieere" $$ I liked the Aquamarine. I know that you have several options there price wise. But I was "entertaining" both times there and needed a nice place and room with a good view. pm me on other info on Bogota' if you need to.

Started thinking and would like to add a few more things. I do not wear my watch in public. I use a ankle wallet. Carry some peso's in a pocket in case you get robbed. Stay away from groups of kid's. Common scam is for someone to "pose" as a police officer and ask to see your money to check for counterfiet dollars or peso's, if this happens keep on walking-or run! I have traveled by car and taxi to Tunia and montequere "spell?" both north from Bogota' awesome country but was stopped twice at road blocks thank god it was the Colombian army and not the FARC! But a 16 yoa kid with a m-16 or the 50cal machine gun pointing it at the car was not the highlite of the trip! I have the restaurant's figured out in Bogota' and can direct you to some great places in North Bogota'. Stay away from el central unless you are buying emeralds, great deals. And south Bogota' you go there with out some locals with you and you will have very bad things happen to you.I have alway's wanted to go and see it but my friends down there refuse to take me. As for Cartegena skip it the street hawkers are relentless they will not stop it was so bad we only went into the old city one time and left in one hour because of the street hawkers. I know folks got to make a living but they were very annoying. Have a fun and safe trip.domino22

I concur, you should stay in North District and have some trustworthy local company.

I have a tour operator driver with van who is very good and drove us for tours and nice eats up to Guatavita and Zipaquira, towns within a couple of hours drive. He charged if I recall, about 100,000 pesos per day or about $37 US, gas and tolls included.

Edgar Boldros at 310 8659141. You call ahead and he will pick you up at the airport. PM me if you need more information.

Back
Top Bottom