Salvo versus Halcyon: Solved.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogie711

Reaction score
I saw this on a few other boards, and I didn't see anything here. I know a number of us (myself included) have Salvo lights, and may be concerned about warranty issues et al.

I have to say - after seeing this, I see no reason not to continue my relationship with Salvo. Every dealing I've had with them has been fantastic. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about Halcyon. C'est la vie...

------------

From Barry Miller, Salvo Diving:

Some of you are no doubt aware of the legal issues between me, Halcyon and the State of Florida. This issue came up several months ago, and I promised a full explanation when the time was right. I’m fulfilling my promise.

Long story short for those who don’t want to read any further – Salvo Diving will continue to make excellent dive gear, under full warranty, and the customer service that hundreds of my customers can attest to will absolutely continue. I look forward to making great dive products for great divers for many years to come.

To fully understand the issue, I have to take you back several years. Many of you will remember when I was making lights for the technical dive community. When I was diving with the WKPP, a lot of the products I developed were on the ‘bleeding edge’… in fact, many of you will probably still have one of my ‘rat lights.’ The Rat Lights were the first delrin-bodied, super-endurable backup light, and a predecessor to Halcyon Scout’s.

I was approached by Jarrod Jablonski to work for Halcyon in August 1999. We struck a deal then – I would make lights exclusively for Halcyon, and supply all of my equipment, tools and machinery. In exchange, I would take a salary, and 1% of gross sales.

At the time, I considered Jarrod to be a friend, and a handshake deal was good enough.

I made thousands of lights for Halcyon, and continued to develop new technologies and made great dive gear. I donated my tools and equipment, and drew a salary – but never received my 1% of gross sales.

Every few months, I’d ask about the 1%. Every time, Jarrod would slough it off or change the subject. I was aware Halcyon was under significant financial stress at times, and was confident that eventually, Jarrod would make good on his word.
Finally, I demanded resolution of this matter; I was told “You’ll have to sue for it.” No doubt Jarrod knew I was very disappointed. He had chosen not to honor his word.

I was upset, and tremendously disappointed. I decided that I would recoup my loss by taking some parts and equipment. The amount of goods taken didn’t even come close to equalling 1% of gross sales, but it doesn’t matter – I realize that my conduct wasn’t the right thing to do. It shouldn’t have happened. I recognize that now, and accept full responsibility for incredibly poor judgment.

Jarrod was upset at this. Rather than pursue the matter in civil court, he decided to press criminal charges. The Sheriff arrived at Salvo and claimed some of the materials. I voluntarily offered the rest.

Fast-forward to today. Salvo is doing well, with a great staff to provide the service people expect. But in the meantime, restitution has to be made. Rather than face a long and protracted legal fight, my lawyer has brokered a settlement with the State of Florida. I plead “no contest” to charges of theft. In exchange, I agreed to a financial settlement and some time in jail. I fully recognize that what I did was wrong. I’m not making excuses; I’m not trying to justify my actions.

I recognize the error of my ways. If I had a written contract with Halcyon, I’d have stronger grounds to sue, but unfortunately, it appears I trusted Jarrod a little too much.

I feel victimized, but recognize that there are right ways and wrong ways to solve an injustice – what I did was obviously the wrong way. I am voluntarily choosing to spend up to a year in jail, confident that even in my absence; Salvo will continue to make great products.

Halcyon’s revenue from light sales has plummeted since Salvo began – divers around the world have discovered a better product at a better price. I look forward to returning, and continuing to provide good service and great gear. I strongly suspect there was a reason Jablonski insisted that I serve time, rather than simple financial restitution. In my opinion, Halcyon feels that if they shut down Barry Miller, they shut down Salvo.

There are some great people at Salvo, and we will continue to make great lights and other gear. We will continue to provide great products, reasonable prices and service after the sale that is second to none during my absence.

Too bad that Barry is going to actually have to do time. I thought they had worked out a deal where he wouldn't go to jail?

D_O_H:
Too bad that Barry is going to actually have to do time. I thought they had worked out a deal where he wouldn't go to jail?

He will most likely be in very minimum security jail, after all his crimes were not something that require heavy guards. In minimum security I am sure he will have the means and opportunity to look after things and be there for the company, sort of on a "long vacation".

Either way, good luck to him and to the company in the mean time. Good news to hear although I never purchased from him (yet).

The actions of Halcyon personnel in this entire matter have been absolutely repulsive.

I am never spending another dime on Halcyon gear.

jonnythan:
The actions of Halcyon personnel in this entire matter have been absolutely repulsive.

What were the actions of halcyon in this matter? Just asking because I have not heard what they did.
Or do you mean the fact that they brought a lawsuit against him?

jonnythan:
Check out www.thedecostop.com for more info. Scott Landon is a Halcyon employee [so I've been told].

Review his posting history.
Your sadly mistaken. He is not a Halcyon employee. I guess crime does pay...Salvo steals material starts a business with the intent of putting the place he stole from out of business....and some of you are happy about him doing it and unhappy he is paying for his crime.....sad way some people think IMO

jonnythan:
Check out www.thedecostop.com for more info. Scott Landon is a Halcyon employee [so I've been told].

Review his posting history.

told by who? i am a chemical engineer in houston and have worked in this capacity since 1989. i buy their gear. i have no financial stake in halcyon and draw no pay from halcyon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom