Salvo locking latch corrosion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jetfixer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
20 or so dives, less than a year old. Anyone else have this problem?

Is there a Salvo rep on the board?

Attachments

• latch.jpg
    latch.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 148
My Salvo also has a little rust on the latches, but nothing that I would expect to cause that type of failure. I've actually been very happy with my Salvo.

This does cause me a bit of concern though, since I really would not want to flood my canister because of a rusty latch.

I'd be curous to know how Salvo handles this issue and if they consider it something that they need to remedy.

Christian

I had the exact same thing happen to a latch on my Salvo. As it was three days before I was supposed to leave for Indonesia, I contacted the company and asked them to overnight a latch to me, and they did.

Since I replaced that one, I have been absolutely obsessive about rinsing the latches immediately after diving, and I have no corrosion on the new one.

jetfixer:
20 or so dives, less than a year old. Anyone else have this problem?

Is there a Salvo rep on the board?

I have similar signs on my latch too on my video lights (less than 20 dives), but not to that extent.

I was ignoring it, now I am getting concerned.

I am not a salvo rep but I am one of their dealers. The supplier of the latches may have had a bad run of material. Salvo says it shouldn't effect the operation of the light but they will switch them out under warranty. So no big deal either way. The latch in the picture looks broken...not just rusted.

Brent

This light actually belongs to my dive buddy who cleans his gear thoroughly. I have the same light and it is showing signs of rust on the pin. I rinse and dry thouroughly as well. How obsessive do we have to be when cleaning? I wonder if it's a defect in the plating? Anyone know what brand of latches are used on other canister lights?

Salvo uses these:

Attachments

• latch_6.jpg
    latch_6.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 86
hunter991:
So no big deal either way. The latch in the picture looks broken...not just rusted.

Brent

Good eyes Brent. FWIW, I bought a light from Salvo about May of last year, almost 100 dives on it so far, and no corrosion. Don't know if it makes any difference, but my light gets at least a half-hour soak in fresh water after every dive.

Thanks for the input, Brent. It may be a bad run of material. I'm going to send mine in for replacement. I am very happy with the light otherwise.

Ok.... Salvo is pretty flawless in warranty and overall quality. My light has no rust at all, and I don't really take any special care of it. That's what makes me think it may have been a bad run from the supplier. Salvo said they are willing to ship the parts out for replacement but prefer to install the latch themselves to make sure they are installed per specifications.

Anytime ya'll need to know anything from Salvo let me know and I will pass the questions along.

Brent

I had my light do this after 6 months or so. They replaced it under warranty after one of the latches corroded through. No problems with the replacement so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom