Salvo Cans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

piikki:
well, I want rugged, I am a banger... is the above statement correct nowadays? I don't want no test tube babies :)

so far the only light that i've busted was a 10W. my 18W and 24W lights have been fine.

YMM (clearly) V.

TSandM:
I got it from the Dive-Rite HID light owner's manual. I don't know if it applies to Li-ion systems or not.

Thanks Lynne (It is Lynne, isn't it?)

I might give it a try, not sure what difference it might make as Li-Ion packs have more on-board electronics to protect the cells.

Dom

I have recently acquired a pro peak charging system for my dive rite 21 watt. I had issues with the factory charger not charging the battery to a full charge. It seemed like it would charge to fast then the battery would get hot and not hold a full charge until I let it cool down and charged it again(this would take three or four cool down cycles). Now I can slow down the rate of charge (down to .1mA if I so choose) and my battery is now lasting 20 to 30% longer.

As an added bonus the pro peak charger displays the voltage reading of the battery at all times and you can charge NIMH, Li-Ion, or Ni-Cad batteries. It also trickle charges the battery. Which means as it approaches a full charge it slows things down to get every ounce of power out of the battery.

With this setup I can charge fast (and get the same charge as my Dive Rite charger) or slow (and get the most out of the battery). So if you are really up against the wall on dive time with your current battery this could help.

Gillty

As far as durability the salvo definately wins out in lights, actually it wins out in most categories. Mine gets no special treatment and just gets tossed into my dive bag mounted on my plate, and is has been going strong for along time.

Brent

Kevrumbo:
I just ended up buying an extra battery for my can. . .

For me, since I'm always laying line for wreck diving, the enclosed head design of both the Halcyon and Dive Rite (MR11) 10W HID is much more rugged IMO, than any of the test tube designs of the Salvo HID Lights and can take a lot of abuse (i.g. inadvertently banging into ship's ladders, stanchions and pipes etc. while laying/reeling-in penetration line). I also thrashed a test tube head type once before as well, when I got rolled by a rogue wave in the Surf Zone of a Beach Dive. . .
Hmmmm ... not sure what the current designs are like, but 3 years ago I worked for a Dive Rite dealer ... and I was pretty surprised at how often their HID lights were coming back to the shop for maintenance and repair. To be fair, DR customer service was very good and took care of the problems, but durability isn't a word I'd have used to describe their lights.

My 18W Salvo takes a beating ... those who dive with me can attest that I'm tough on gear ... and although I purchased a spare bulb when I bought the light, I've never had to use it.

Can't say the same for any other HID light I've ever owned ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Okay Bob, here's an objective test: clip-off both light heads to your chest d-ring, go into the Surf Zone and sustain a couple of face plants, barrel rolls & flips with mask/fins/gear ejecting everywhere along the Beach --and see which HID will light up. At the very least, the enclosed head should remain intact while the test tube in the other light head design will probably be shattered. . .

Kevrumbo:
Okay Bob, here's an objective test: clip-off both light heads to your chest d-ring, go into the Surf Zone and sustain a couple of face plants, barrel rolls & flips with mask/fins/gear ejecting everywhere along the Beach --and see which HID will light up. At the very least, the enclosed head should remain intact while the test tube in the other light head design will probably be shattered. . .
No need ... Barry pounded a nail into a board using his light head once ... then turned the light on.

In fact, he did that at DEMA a couple years back.

Objective or otherwise, I'm simply providing my observations. You can take them for whatever you think they're worth ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Which model have you been using??

Gillty:
I have recently acquired a pro peak charging system for my dive rite 21 watt. I had issues with the factory charger not charging the battery to a full charge. It seemed like it would charge to fast then the battery would get hot and not hold a full charge until I let it cool down and charged it again(this would take three or four cool down cycles). Now I can slow down the rate of charge (down to .1mA if I so choose) and my battery is now lasting 20 to 30% longer.

As an added bonus the pro peak charger displays the voltage reading of the battery at all times and you can charge NIMH, Li-Ion, or Ni-Cad batteries. It also trickle charges the battery. Which means as it approaches a full charge it slows things down to get every ounce of power out of the battery.

With this setup I can charge fast (and get the same charge as my Dive Rite charger) or slow (and get the most out of the battery). So if you are really up against the wall on dive time with your current battery this could help.

Gillty

NWGratefulDiver:
No need ... Barry pounded a nail into a board using his light head once ... then turned the light on.

In fact, he did that at DEMA a couple years back.

Objective or otherwise, I'm simply providing my observations. You can take them for whatever you think they're worth ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
And I'm telling you my real life experience here on the Beaches of So. Cal, anecdotal as it may appear. . .

If I could afford it, I would have the enclosed 10W head for OW Beach and Wreck Diving; and the 18W to 24W test tube type for Cave Diving.

Kevrumbo:
If I could afford it, I would have the enclosed 10W head for OW Beach and Wreck Diving; and the 18W to 24W test tube type for Cave Diving.
Good point ... the appropriate choice of light depends a great deal on the conditions under which you'll be using it. But that doesn't make one style inherently more dependable or durable than another.

As an example - an enclosed-head 10W design that uses a Welch-Allyn bulb will be inherently less shock-resistant than a test-tube design using a Britestar bulb ... not because of the design of the light head, but because the bulb in the former is more susceptible to shock damage than the bulb in the latter.

My Terkel is an enclosed head 10W design ... and I've broken the bulb in that light twice by accidentally dropping the light head. I've yet to break the bulb in my Salvo, even though I've done the same thing to it on numerous occasions.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom