Salvages off rockport???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cruisin Home

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Anybody have any comments and/or experiences with this site you would want to share? Particularly currents? driftdive? bugs? interesting ROIs?

appreciate it!

I was at Dry Salvages once in late August 2009. Here is my log book entry:

We landed on a seamount at about 25’, then I proceeded south along a rock channel until hitting sand at about 55’. Went west along rock wall [as I recall, vertical wall rising from flat sand is quite striking], then ascended to about 40’, returned along same course, spent some time exploring at 35’ or so. Beautiful rock formations, lots of sea life – caught 5 lobsters. After 48 minute dive I ascended from a 20’ seamount.

Surge was very bad, even at depth. At 20’-25’ I was being thrown like a cork in a washing machine. Still, very rewarding dive and I’d like to go there again.

Max depth 56’, bottom temperature 57 F.

I did a couple of dives there in the 80's in July. We anchored the inflatable. We dove the slack so no current. We had 20+' vis and lots of bugs. Enjoyable dives as I remember. Have fun.

We've been there multiple times and I would HIGHLY recommend leaving someone on the boat who knows how to run it. There can be quite a current there. If you don't find the anchor line and ascend 25 feet off the boat you might not be able to swim against the current to reach it. Not a big deal if the divers keep their head.

That said, it's a lovely dive with fantastic gullys and canyons to swim in. There is some wreckage scattered thruout and we've always done well hunting there. There are often seals around, they generally keep just at the edge of visibility but when we were there last month one pup kept darting in and goofing around with us. I wouldn't consider it an advanced dive but because of the surge and current I'd probably go somewhere else if I had a real n00b onboard. We were headed there with my daughter (a real n00b) a few weeks ago but based on the surge from the day before we diverted south to Kettle and ended up with the same ripping current and surge. Fortuantely she did fine.
Back on point, I really like that area, it's a great dive. Have fun.

PTN

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom