Saltwater Croc in Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markrob:
anyone hear about this? i would've been stuck on those rocks all day!
Me too - waving at boats to pick me up. Wonder if anyone told the Croc this..
The American crocodile is fairly passive and there are no documented cases of the species attacking humans.

This crocodile stuff is getting a little out of hand in southern Florida. Since they are considered endagered, they can't be touched at all. There was a lakeside community that had a 6-foot croc in it, and everyone was all antsy about their pets and kids getting eaten. The Fish & Wildlife people couldn't touch it until after it ate something(one).
They even have "crocodile crossing" signs posted in the upper Keys on US1. People get killed by big alligators, but it's one of those problems in nature where something 12-feet long has to eat and sopmetimes people splash in the wrong place. Africa and Australia have those saltwater crocodiles that actually hunt and stalk people.
The critters are fast too - try catching an alligator or an iguana - you see how fast the buggers can scoot. Iguanas are now becoming ubiquitous in Florida, but at least they're vegetarians.

Whoa, how common is this...??
People get killed by big alligators, but it's one of those problems in nature where something 12-feet long has to eat and sopmetimes people splash in the wrong place.
About like shark attacks - very rare, but makes the news?? I don't remember any in the news.

We don't have them in this part of Texas, of course, but I have been to an alligator park in coastal Texas, and I was amazed at how close the locals walk to them basking on the bank. I'd walk further away! One dumb lady had a toy poodle running lose with her. Don't know if she still had it when she left?

If we are to encroach on the native wildlife, but are (at least a little) committed to preserving the wildlife, don't we need to back off as indicated - and allow them to live as needed?

The iguanas are not native, tho, and are reported to be destructive to the habitat. Good eating, too, I've heard. Can you hunt them, maybe with bow & arrows? I hear that TSA is going to allow me to carry mine on. :D

Now was this an alligator or a crocodile ???

There be a difference, ya know . . .

the K

Saltwater Croc.

The thread was opened with a story about a Croc...

American Crocodile (Crocodylus acutus)

Factoid: American crocodiles can be distinguished from American alligators by their longer, more narrow snouts and by their lower teeth, which are visible even when the crocodile's mouth is closed.

Population: There are approximately 500 to 1,200 American crocodiles in Florida.

Threats: Once hunted intensively for their hides, today poaching and the loss of habitat to human development are the greatest threats faced by American crocodiles.

Survival: Crocodiles can reach 50 to 60 years of age.

American crocodiles have long, slender snouts, which distinguish them from their cousin the alligator. Also unlike the alligator, the fourth tooth on the bottom jaw of the American crocodile is visible when its mouth is closed. Adult crocodiles are 7 to 15 feet long and weigh 150 to 450 pounds.

American crocodiles inhabit areas where fresh and salt waters mix, such as coastal wetlands and canals. They are found in southern Florida, the Caribbean, southern Mexico, and along the Central American coast south to Venezuela.

Decidedly less aggressive than the infamous Nile and Australian crocodiles, American crocodiles are rarely seen by people. They eat a variety of crabs, fish, waterfowl, and small mammals.

National Parks: The American crocodile can be found in Biscayne National Park, FL, and Everglades National Park, FL.

To me a salt water croc is the big boys that you see in Australia. The North American fellas get big but they aint nasty like them Aussies. Totally different sub-species Acutus(american) Perosis(Estuarine).

Back
Top Bottom