Salt River Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm looking to head out to the river on Friday (8/22). I welcome anyone who is interested. Also, as I have never been to the river before, anyone who can offer directions to sheeps crossing would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Dave :D

working this friday, I am interested in a river dive if the opportunity comes up... and its closer to home than Pleasant.

Jeff

Ed3 and Ed4,

Are you guys up for another Salt River plunge on Sunday AM ? I am diving Friday afternoon/early evening/ and NITE on Friday @ Lake Pleasant Vista point....anyone else who can make it, COME....Details in Lake Pleasant Thread. As far as Sunday goes, since I will have tanks anyway, I would be up for (and my buddy here in Chandler too) for another dive Sunday AM @ the river, however would not do unless Ed/Ed are up for it also due to their river knowledge and exp. Let me know !

Scubeneath

I'm always up for diving. BUT, I usually dive every other Sat. That is Ed 4s days off at Saguaro. Unfortunately, Sat is also my busiest day for work. Most people buy homes on the weekend and as a loan officer, that is when I get called. My wife and work partner is a trooper, but leaving her with the lions share for more then that, just doesn’t seem right. My minimum diving requirement is at lest twice a month. :D

I can on occasion do a week day or week night. I Love night diving! Please always ask and I’ll do my best to come when I can!!!
I am trying to work extra this week to swing Sat 23rd. AND There is also the monthly meeting/get-togeather at the SCUBA Shop on greenfeild & Southern this Friday (22nd) 6:30 to 9. I think this month it is on Under water photo & of course the free BQ. Last month was Underwarter Hunting. Man a monthly SCUBA Social and class, I'm there!!!:14:

Last edited:
I could be up for an early morning dive or two out at sheeps crossing or even over by the bridge...
Due too the wife needing the car I would have to be there by 6:30 or 7am and leave by 10 or so please let me know if that works for anyone?

Well i got a new spear gun!!!!!!! i love spear fishing. i took the opertunity to get a better one also. as Ed 3 said i am working this weekend. on the 30th i am thinken of diving vista point. i might wont to try a nite dive also as i have never dove pleasant at night. i am not new to nite diving but never did it at pleasant. from what reefman says it sounds great for us spear fishermen as more fish are out.

As it turns out, I had a sudden change in my availability for Friday and can't dive until later in the afternoon. I think I may try to head out to VP and meet Reefman and the others...My wife nixed any diving on this weekend :(

Dave

I am still in for Friday afternoon/dusk/night too. I am bringing myself + 1 other diver at this point. Very pumped for my first night dive after an EYE OPENING plunge into the Salt River on Sat w/ ED3 and ED4 and 'the Steves" and also Carly. BTW - Carly, who are u on this board ? PM me pls. As far as the Salt goes, Sats are sadly bad for me or I would go everyone of them w. you. Any plans to go on Sunday AMs ? I have EVERY Sunday AM free, would love to go every/many Sunday AMs per month if other exp. divers such as Ed/Ed or Steve/Steve are up to it !! Let me know if this would work for anyone else...ED4, do you normally work Sunday AMs at the shop ?

Scubeneath

Hey All,

I had a great time diving the river with the group last Saturday. I was happy to get to dive with Charlotte. I just hope the leeches didn't put her off diving the river again. They were very small leeches, afterall. I seldom get to dive with folks from my fav LDS (although Ed4 is changing that). I was happy to meet and dive with Matt too. Keep diving Matt. You'll find that the certification really means that you know how to not kill yourself. The best way to learn how to dive is to do so often. I hope to dive with you again. Harley and Ron, I was glad to meet both of you. Steve took some great shots. Wrestling the camera around in that current had to be a workout.

The river current was intense last Saturday and you had to do some serious finning to keep moving up stream. To put it in perspective, the flow rate was enough to fill the average sized swimming pool in about 2 seconds. Sometimes we were kicking for all we were worth and simply hovering. To move forward we had to pull ourselves along the bottom.

We still managed to take out a lot of junk. And as Steve mentioned earlier, he had gas money for the trip home thanks to some hapless (and most likely drunk) tuber. At least the guy was nice enough to put the foldin' stuff in a plastic bag so Steve didn't have to dry it out before spending it. I found some really nice sunglasses, not even muddy. They look like they were lost just that morning.

The last dive was the most extreme. Ed4 and I finned and clawed our way further upstream than I had ever gone. At one point we got seperated. A hand hold slipped and away I went. I was feverishly working to catch up when I saw a length of rope attached to a large concrete slab. I grabed it and climbed hand over hand. My body flapped in the current like a flag and my regulator was being pulled out of my mouth. I reached to adjust my reg and wouldn't you know it, away I went...again. This time I saw Ed4 as I whizzed by so I made for the bottom and something to hang on to. I finaly caught up to him after chasing him around a rock for half a lap. I think we gave the "turn" sign at the same time. The "flight" back is really the payoff for struggling your way upstream. It's the second most fun thing you can do in the water. The last dive took 40 minutes. I think for 35 of it we were making our way upstream.

I'm looking forward to going back to the river in a few weeks. I wouldn't mind trying some of the other dive spots along the Salt.

Steve.

Back
Top Bottom