Saipan diving - recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kumimonster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello!

So I've gotten a lot of help from you lot here on SB for a variety of locations and I'm hoping some of you can continue with the great suggestions!

I'm headed to Saipan for the first time on April 25. I fly back home on May 1.
I'm hoping to spend as much time as I can underwater.
I'm coming in blind and clueless about the area except for the fact that there's a lot of WW2 history left behind including wrecks.

I'd love some advice on operators and any other notes you might have to offer!

The Grotto is a signature dive for Saipan. Lots of steps and a rather dramatic entrance & exit...but fun. There is some good shore diving to the south. We also saw the spotted rays at "Ice Cream", there are some wrecks as well. Diving is mostly hard coral...you should have good weather/vis for late April. Start of the dry season usually. We dived with Speedy Tertle Places
Rent a car and drive around the island and to the Suicide Cliffs. The US Park Service has a good museum to the north end of town.
If you have time get the ferry to Tinian for the day. You can rent a car and drive around the island. LOTS of WWII history there. VERY worth the time.

Looking at diving Guam and Saipan in early July. I would like to have as much information as possible about where to stay, must do dives, and how long should I devote to diving in Guam and to diving in Saipan. Avid diver and history buff too. Looking for above the water and below recommendations.

Lived on Guam for 7 years. My answer above about does it for Saipan. If you have Naval Base access & a car, you need to go to Gab Gab beach...it's a great shore dive. You can also swim out to Gab Gab II. Check also with base security to see if "Spanish Steps" is open. You walk down a cliff side for some great snorkeling. The base is also the BEST place to fill your rental car with gas & buy groceries. I believe MDA (Micronesia Divers Association) still runs a shop on the base. You can pick up your tanks there. You can also do some good shore dives to the north of Tumon at Gun Beach . MDA has their main diveshop on Marine Corps Drive (HWY 1). It's just across the street from Fisheye Marine Park. You can dive there as well, but it's chocked full of tourist. You can sign up for boat dives at MDA. You can check out their website for info. guam - boat dives | MDA Here is a link to Spanish Steps and other hikes on Guam. Family Friendly Hikes, Part I – The Guam Guide Great hiking, diving & snorkeling there. We never spent much time AT ALL down in Tumon...huge hotels , packed with LOADS of tourist on package holidays from whatever Asian country. They liked to outlet shop at Burberry, Chanel ..or something like that. Argh! Avoid if at all possible. You will most likely need to get a hotel there. The Hilton was our favorite because it's at the far north end of the strip away from all the outlet shopping. Hotels are NOT cheap there. You could also look at Tamuning area (Sheraton, Hotel Santa Fe, Onward...a little quieter...but you would need a car. ) Best local grocery is Pay-Less (pay-more LOL!), good local breakfast at Shirleys or Kings. If you want good local snacks, find the Chode Market off Hwy 1 at 9th, just past Agana. They have a FB page "Chode Food Service"...go in the morning. The US Park Service has a museum near the Navy Base. You can get maps there for driving around the island (a must do) but lock your car if you stop somewhere. "Chamorro Village" night market is on Wednesday nights. Chamorro Village Market | Guam Shopping go early if you don't want to wait in line to eat. We loved Guam..and hope you enjoy your visit. If you have a specific question..just ask.

Last edited:
Here is another great website for Guam diving. Guam: Total Pacific Travel, Diving and Scuba Information This website was started by the former owner of MDA Guam, but it's now owned by a rival dive shop on the island... Welcome Axe Murderers Tours has the contract for the dive shop at the Air Force Base to the North. I don't know about you...but we think that is the stupidest name for a dive shop!

i wish i planned to put Guam into my trip but the Marianas is a bonus visit to a work trip to Japan so I figure I'll just appreciate it and not get too greedy.

Looks like there's plenty of sites to dive and war sites to visit!

...We dived with Speedy Tertle Places
Rent a car and drive around the island and to the Suicide Cliffs. The US Park Service has a good museum to the north end of town.
If you have time get the ferry to Tinian for the day. You can rent a car and drive around the island. LOTS of WWII history there. VERY worth the time.

Ya know, it'd be easier to give the dive shops my money if they'd actually respond! So far I've contacted 4 and not a single response :(

Sometimes island time can get a bit frustrating. Aiya!
My local buddy there is trying too. At least he's getting some local prices with our bit of waiting.
hahaha

Update:
Island time. yup.
Thread started April 5. Dive research started just prior to that.
It's April 17.
I fly on April 19 and not a single credit card deposit placed or verbal agreement to reserve a day (I am trying to book 5 days of diving!)
Honestly, this is a little frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom