saftey sausage = delayed SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have I completely lost the plot? Did I imagine that a DSMB is supposed to be attached to you as you ascend. It's on a reel, it's clipped to you and if you need to release it, you just unclip it!??

I don't know that much about them and that's why I am asking questions... but they are attached to YOU... aren't they???????

:wacko:

It's on a reel/spool that your holding, you don't want it clipped off while the bag is deployed.

You hang unto the reel with your hand. Just like DD said - imagine if you were on a nice slow ascent, tied to your surface buoy, and a jetskier decided to grab your bouy and run with it.

Not good.

Never, ever tie anything to your body that's attached to the surface.

:thumb:

Oh yeah. DOH!

I had thought that being able to unclip the thing in a second (like being able to dissconnect the LP hose from the BCD incase of overinflation) would get me out of of any trouble and assumed having hands free on ascent was a good idea.... obviously not.

And obviously HAD lost plot! :bonk:

... those pesky jet skiers!! Always trying to sabotage dives!

Thanks Boogie for repeating what was already said. Maximum points for originality and value of post there :thumb:

bermudaskink

Try this for size!

Log onto the BSAC Website at www.bsac.com
Look at the column on the left and click onto: NEWS FLASHES.
Go into the section entitled "TECHNICAL SERVICES". Look for the section named "INFORMATION & SOURCES".
Click on: INSTRUCTOR RESOURCE CENTRE
Click on: SDS INSTRUCTOR NOTES AND VAs SECTION
Look under the section on ADVANCED DIVING TECHNIQUES and download the PowerPoint presentation on the Delayed SMB.

I'm sorry if this looks long winded but I figured if you were going to dive with the BSAC then you may as well learn the BSAC way.

If you have problems finding the presentation, please PM me and I will download and post you the whole thing.

Dive safe.

Kev

Thanks Boogie for repeating what was already said. Maximum points for originality and value of post there

No problem. Some people need to see or read something 3 or 5 times before comprehension sets in.

with certain restrictions. I have about 30 feet of 2mm hibrite cord wrapped around a 44"x3"sausage, with a boltsnap as a weight. It is a very, very compact lightweight package that fits nicely inside a BC pocket. At around 20' I simply let the boltsnap spool the line off the still uninflated sausage. Then I orally inflate it with about 1/2 a full lung --- this leaves a bit of room for expansion as it heads to the surface. If you underinflate it, simply yank down on the cord a bit and the sausage will stand up nicely.

There isn't any overpressure relief valve, but so far I haven't had any trouble, and one diver who saw my setup claimed to have sent up the same style sausage fully inflated from 100+' and the excess air simply bled out through the fabric.

Where this type of DSMB comes in useful is in places like Cozumel where the main purpose is to simply put something up to warn away other boats as you make your final ascent from safety stop. Putting it up at the final 20-10' stop also give your boat a while to locate you and so it's more likely to be waiting for you as you hit the surface.

YMMV. The sausage is only about US$20, so just get one and experiment.

Charlie

p.s. I stole this idea from some DMs in Cozumel that routinely do this near the end of each dive.

A safety sausage to my mind is an open ended fairly small noticable bag designed to be inflated on the surface to wave at the surface support.

A DSMB is (these days) normally self sealing meaning it wont deflate if its not held totally upright. They also have overpressure dump valves to avoid them exploading and tend to be taller than sausages.

My DSMB is pretty standard and its roughly 1.5m tall.

As for BSAC requiring it for non deco dives - dont forget BSAC is a british orientated dive organisation. DSMBs are pretty much mandatory and i doubt you'd get on a boat without one for any dive (certainly most clubs wont even let novices in the water without one).

In typical british waters you have low vis and strong currents and its VERY unusual for any dive to result with an ascent up an anchor line.

You jump in, do the dive, shoot the bag and the surface support can follow the divers that way even in strong seas/current.

Regardless of deco/non deco dives its a sensible idea in those conditions so i can see why they enforce it.

Personally id like to see the DSMB training made mandatory in the lowest (ocean diver) grade. As it is, its not required but all clubs i know of teach it anyway.

As for how to inflate, several methods, all personal preference. The buddy ones have a self inflating bottle. Other people use exhaust gas to blow into it (from depth typically 3 breaths is enough) and others (like me) use my octopus.
There are pros and cons to each method.

The reel is never ever clipped to yourself and even a lanyard is not recommended on the reel. If a boat prop tangles in that wire you're going up quickly, if its not attached to you its just the bag and reel you lose, not a limb or worse.

Its especially noteworthy in areas with jetskis who seem to see the bright orange bag and regard them as guides for a slalom run.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom