saftey sausage = delayed SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bermudaskink

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have a bright orange 5 ft. safety sausage. I would only normally use this if I was far from the nboat and needed attention on the surface, however, to go on deep BSAC dives I need a "delayed SMB" I am thinking about wrapping some 2mm cord around the sausage but I am not sure if my sausage is inflatable underwater. On the surface I have to orally inflate it. I don't think it connects to my low pressure inflator or my regulator. It is just a bit of rubber hose that you have to press the cap into for it to deflate. Have always wondered what kind of attatchment you need for it to connect to the low pressure inflator and how that works?

:huh:

Also, if you inflate the sausage at 15ft and let it go to the surface, will it explode? My sausage inflates permanently and I don't think it would let air out on ascent. Does this mean then that I will have to buy a completely different device for use as a delayed SMB?? How much does an average delated SMB and reel cost? Is there a specific make that is good?

Would apprecaite advice. As am obviously clueless on this topic!

:confused:

I would say offhand your safety sausage won't hack it.

A DSMB is a lift bag, either open or closed, usually around 50-80 pound lift. The opens use either a regulator or exhaust bubbles to inflate, the closed use a LP hose. Either should have a overpressure/exhaust valve to be useful.

The reel/spool will depend on depth, features, and how you use it.

Also, and not to be disparaging, do you really think you're ready for deep dives that require a dsmb? From your questions and comments, I would guess no.

MD

I have dived "deep" many times. Deep being aprox 30m. I am a PADI Instructor and DSMBs are not required for any dive I teach through PADI or do recreationaly.

I have a safety sausage I ican inflate orally for safety purposes but even this is not "required".

I have recently crossed over to BSAC as a Dive Leader and they require a DSMB for all their dives below 18m/ 60ft.

So I'm asking questions. Doesn't mean I haven't a clue about/ shouldn't go deep diving.

Deco diving, now you might have a point there. Never done it and don't intend to till get proper training.

:)

Okay. I equate deep and talk about a dsmb as meaning deco, trimix, and **deep**. :)

As I said, I would not consider the sausage you have now as adequate. You might want to look at Carter, Halcyon, Dive Rite and OMS for examples of lift bags. In your case, the 50lb Carter would mostly serve you well. Most of those also have reels. For the shallower depths you appear to be talking about, plus the fact you most likely won't actually be deploying a bag, I would look at a spool instead of a reel. They'll be cheaper, much smaller and easier to stow.

MD

Safety sausage would work if you don't shoot it from depths greater than 20 ft and don't fill it more than half way. Otherwise, its just a matter of time before Boyle grabs it and it goes POP.

I use an OMS SMB (BCA-255) which works well but does not have an oral inflate valve. I suggest you look at the Carter personal float which is similar but adds an oral inflate valve. To inflate the OMS DSMB on the surface, you must either scoop air or submerge the opening to fill it.

OK, so I've been talking about converting my SMB into a DSMB to a few other divers this weekend and with respect to the last post, I've made a descision. As far as I can tell it is only oral inflation that makes this thing inflate. It's a pretty serious SMB. I'll attach a reel to it, inflate it 1/3 of the way at 20ft and see what happens. Maybe it will allow for overpressurisation? If it explodes, well then. A good excuse for me to invest in a proper DSMB. BSAC can be pretty anal out here, requiring DSMBs for no deco diving. Although, I have heard stories that when these guys use them, they tend to get entangled and don't work properly anyway. We'll see. I want to go out with BSAC because they do go to some sites, not visited by the regular PADI centers.

Thanks for all your advice :thumb:

I don't think oral inflation is going to work underwater.

I have an open-ended sausage that you inflate by purging your octopus into the bottom. I inflate it at the safety stop (ie, in 5m of water). The advice I was given when I bought my first one was 'only fill it one third full and let go real quick'. The reasoning behind 'let go real quick' became apparent the first time I tried it. Once you have a few litres of air in the sausage, it wants to rocket to the surface. It you don't let go, you'll go with it.

Oral inflation is going to be slow. I don't think you're going to be able to put a significant amount of air into your sausage without creating significant buoyancy problems. Imagine what would happen if you got neutral at 5m, then orally inflated your BC. The same thing will happen when you orally inflate your sausage.

Also, I think the BSAC people tend to inflate their DSMBs at the bottom, rather than at the safety stop, adding to your buoyancy problems. I have screwed up with my sausage and gone rocketing up to the top (my octopus snagged in the bottom). From 5m that's nasty, but not life-threatening, as long as you don't hold your breath. I would not care to repeat the experience from 18m.

So please, get a proper DSMB. And be careful :).

Z

The nicest dsmb's are the self inflating ap-valves ones, crack the cylinder until it just starts to become postive, close it and let it go - nice and simple, and orally inflatable if you've forgotton to fill the cylinder for any reason.
They are only sent up from the wreck/seabed if the dive is 'shallow' or not too tidal, otherwise they are easier inflated from the first deep stop or just once starting to move upwards anyway.
If you let them off too deep, then they don't always reach the surface even with a long line on them. We use them all the time, as do most uk divers, generally we'll be shallower than 40m when they are inflated.

Cool advice from all. Thanks. I wont go inflating anything attached to me until I am fully aware of how to deal with it etc! I'll have a chat to the BSAC club here and see what they say about it all.... but it does all seem like a lot of hassel to me :( I'm glad I don't normally use one!

bermudaskink once bubbled...
Cool advice from all. Thanks. I wont go inflating anything attached to me until I am fully aware of how to deal with it etc! I'll have a chat to the BSAC club here and see what they say about it all.... but it does all seem like a lot of hassel to me :( I'm glad I don't normally use one!

FWIW, you don't want to attach it to you at anytime. If something (like a boat!) should catch on it and it were attached to you, I don't think you'd like the results!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom