Safety stops: First Dive post-Open Water Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recreational diving does not require a stop. It's an optional, recommended "safety stop"; which can be omitted without much if any risk of DCS. Especially from the relatively shallow dive with a short bottom time that was described. You weren't even close to the NDL limits.

In addition, it's been almost a full day since the last dive with no symptoms that indicate decompression sickness.

Relax, you're fine.

I just have to ask. What does it matter what wetsuit was worn, if any?

Thank you for your reassurance. I just have one last question, I just checked the dive table and at the end of my first dive, I'm in the category not requiring safety stop. However, I can't recall my surface interval, I estimate it to be about 1hr and when I calculated my pressure group for my second dive, I'm in the zone that requires safety stops, total bottom time of 41min at 20m. Thoughts?

when I calculated my pressure group for my second dive, I'm in the zone that requires safety stops

Don't know what you're looking at but rest assured there is no zone or pressure group in tables for recreational non-decompression diving that requires a safety stop.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-03-17 at 2.06.27 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-03-17 at 2.06.27 PM.png
    167 KB · Views: 132
I attached a photo and look at the part circled in red,

Thanks for posting that. I have no explanation for why an optional safety stop would be "required" and don't ever recall seeing that the last time I used tables. That much being said, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the "required safety stop" as presented in the tables is still optional, and don't believe everything you read even if it's printed on a PADI dive table.

I think PADI changed the rules to be more conservative. The physics haven't changed of course.

Here's an older thread that I found when I did a quick search that talks about how safety stops are completely optional and simply provide an extra measure of safety.

Safety Stop required ?

I attached a photo and look at the part circled in red, that's what I meant :) the full table is here: https://elearning.padi.com/company0/tools/RDP_Table Met.pdf
Those grey zones on your RDP are recommended Safety Stops, not required Safety Stops. A Safety Stop is never required when using the RDP - only Emergency Deco stops are required, if you ever exceed your NDL.

If you start using a dive computer at some point, there are a few out there that will penalize you on repetitive dives if you blow off a safety stop on an earlier dive. (When using a computer, pretty much forget what the RDP says. Follow the computer protocols - do not mix and match rules.)

Thanks for posting that. I have no explanation for why an optional safety stop would be "required" and don't ever recall seeing that the last time I used tables. That much being said, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the "required safety stop" as presented in the tables is still optional, and don't believe everything you read even if it's printed on a PADI dive table.

I think PADI changed the rules to be more conservative. The physics haven't changed of course.

Here's an older thread that I found when I did a quick search that talks about how safety stops are completely optional and simply provide an extra measure of safety.

Safety Stop required ?

It comes from this line in the fine print on the bottom of the RDP

Safety Stops — A safety stop for 3 minutes at 15ft is required any time the diver comes up to or within 3 pressure groups of a no decompression limit and for any dive to a depth of 100ft or deeper.

It comes from this line in the fine print on the bottom of the RDP
I stand corrected. At some point that verbiage on the RDP changed from "recommended" to "required." Probably to apply more emphasis and get folks to treat that guidance it with more respect. You will notice that the RDP does not include any penalties for successive dives when skipping a required safety stop on earlier dives.

I attached a photo and look at the part circled in red, that's what I meant :) the full table is here: https://elearning.padi.com/company0/tools/RDP_Table Met.pdf

With regards to the table, bear in mind that this is assuming a square dive profile (i.e descending to 20m and remaining at that depth). From your post, it seems that you may have dipped to 20m but the majority of the time stayed at, or above, 18m. Probably more important is your rate of ascent. Did you ascend normally but find you were unable to stop / hold the safety stop? If so I wouldn't worry too much, but yes if in doubt contact DAN for further advice. Most, but not all, cases of DCS will exhibit within 6hrs, so again you should be fine.

However, I would recommend you and your buddy find a benign, shallow site to practice both your descents and ascents to make sure you have these under control in future. It's often the final few meters that catch people out due to the pressure differential. Remember, anticipate this buoyancy change and be ready for it. It will become second nature.

Recreational diving does not require a stop. It's an optional, recommended "safety stop"; which can be omitted without much if any risk of DCS. Especially from the relatively shallow dive with a short bottom time that was described. You weren't even close to the NDL limits.

In addition, it's been almost a full day since the last dive with no symptoms that indicate decompression sickness.

Relax, you're fine.

I just have to ask. What does it matter what wetsuit was worn, if any?

It doesn’t have anything to do with DCS risk, but it could help him understand why he had a rapid ascent. If he wasn’t used to diving with a 7 mm for example, he would need more air at depth in his wing to maintain bouyancy after compression than he’s used to, which could be why he forgot to release air from the wing / why not releasing the air made such a big difference.

If he was wearing a 3 mil or less and had a ton of air in his wing at depth, it means he was seriously overweighted which is a separate problem. That was what I was trying to investigate.

With regards to the table, bear in mind that this is assuming a square dive profile (i.e descending to 20m and remaining at that depth). From your post, it seems that you may have dipped to 20m but the majority of the time stayed at, or above, 18m. Probably more important is your rate of ascent. Did you ascend normally but find you were unable to stop / hold the safety stop? If so I wouldn't worry too much, but yes if in doubt contact DAN for further advice. Most, but not all, cases of DCS will exhibit within 6hrs, so again you should be fine.

However, I would recommend you and your buddy find a benign, shallow site to practice both your descents and ascents to make sure you have these under control in future. It's often the final few meters that catch people out due to the pressure differential. Remember, anticipate this buoyancy change and be ready for it. It will become second nature.
Thanks for ur reply! During my first dive, I forgotten to deflate my bcd and only inflate on the way up so I ascend really quickly. During my second dive, I went up more slowly but unable to stop for the safety stop. (both dives were about an hour apart)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom