Safety stops: First Dive post-Open Water Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all, I am new to this forum and also new to the diving world as I recently got my open water certification (November 2018). Yesterday, I went for my first (and second) dive after my certification and realised an important issue: First dive- buddy and I forgotten to deflate BCD when ascending so I shoot up to the surface without safety stop. Second dive- buddy forgotten to deflate bcd when ascending. I tried to pull her down (so she can do her safety stop). Unfortunately that did not work and I was pulled up to the surface together with her.
I am worried that I may be at risk of decompression sickness. Right now, I feel fine other than slight fatigue. Any thoughts on whether I should sick medical help?

How deep was your dive and for how long? Since you're just open water, I doubt there's much of a problem. In the old days no one did safety stops. PADI began recommending them in 1984.
18m in general (accidentally went to 20m at one point but mostly 18m). about 27mins both dives

What depth were you at when you lost control of the ascent? What kind of wetsuit were you wearing?

No stop dive allows for direct ascent to the surface at 30 ft/min. The safety stop is not required. Your risk is mainly based on your ascent rate. If you were not close to NDL, your risk is likely small. If ever in doubt, get expert advice, DAN

Call DAN.

Recreational diving does not require a stop. It's an optional, recommended "safety stop"; which can be omitted without much if any risk of DCS. Especially from the relatively shallow dive with a short bottom time that was described. You weren't even close to the NDL limits.

In addition, it's been almost a full day since the last dive with no symptoms that indicate decompression sickness.

Relax, you're fine.

What kind of wetsuit were you wearing?

I just have to ask. What does it matter what wetsuit was worn, if any?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom