Safety stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emoreira

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I own an Oceanic VEO 180NX PDC.
This PDC has the feature of No decompression dive Safety Stop indication. This means that if I dived below 9 meters, upon ascending to 6 meters, it will signal to do the safety stop and starts a countdown timer of 3 minutes.
Is this a normal function of any modern PDC or it's just a feature of Oceanic ?
This comes because I had a conversation with an OWD Instructor and he said that he had never seen this in a PDC.

My OC-1 does, but the length of time can be changed.

my Geo 2.0 does it (and it's adjustable) as does my wife's Aeris XR-1. Can't speak to other manufacturers but it certainly seems a standard on Oceanic's family of PC's. At least on the Geo, the computer doesn't actually care if you skip the safety stop (I've read that some brands do)

My older Oceanic Data Plus allows me to decide when I should do a rest stop, at what depth, and for how long. It does not bother me with such an unnecessary feature. My VEO 200 has it and it is a minor PITA when I go to check other information while waiting at the RS and it is to busy doing a RS countdown to let me access things like max depth and dive time.

my nitek plus had that feature.

I think most if not all recreational computers these days have the automatic safety stop countdown. There is some difference when this is triggered. The Suuntos start when you get above 20 feet (20-10 feet) , while my Galileo start at 15 and counts down as long as you're within 20-10 ft.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, my Suuntos did this.

I've owned 4 different computer from 3 different brands and they have all done it. I don't think your instructor has seen many computers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom