Safety stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were diving south of Los Tortugas off of Playa Del Carmen , MX last August with Tank Ha dive shop. A drift dive, we found the bottom between 90 and 100 feet. The current was maybe 2 knots. we were checking out the finger coral when the Dive Master pointed to the right to swim into the current to get past some coral heads. When we started to drift again the bottom dropped off a bit. We came over a small rise to see several hunderd tarpon, Some well over 200 LBS. My son was no more than two feet away from me and he reached out and just grabbed the tail of one really big one. I didn't believe it. I have been fishing for them with a fly rod for years and never got close.
We floated thru the mix and I saw some movement at my right. It was a green Moray about 4 feet off of the bottom swimming like hell. It went under a big sponge about 20 feet right in front of me. I looked over at Chase , my son and pointed to the eel. We used our knives to hold in the sand and watched it for a few minutes then let go. I check his air and mine every 5 minutes or so. When I checked it he was between 5 - 6 hundred pounds. Guess all the excitement took a toll on the air supply. I had doubles showing 1200 LBS. I motioned that it was time to go up. He saw the gauge and his eys got big. I held up my hand to say stop, look here. I show'ed him my spg and gave an O.K. He returned it. Then we started up.

Back
Top Bottom