safety stop..how deep?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boogie711:
Android - there's no need to get hostile here. If you don't think motionless hovering in the water is possible, I would love to see your face the first time you get in the water with a DIR-F instructor.

We're not saying this to be pricks - we're saying it because it's true. I saw my DIR-F instructor do stuff I would have said was impossible to pull off if I hadn't seen it happen.

Maintain an open mind, and you'll be impressed at what's out there that you may just not have been exposed to.

I CAN"T BELEAVE I'M GOING TO AGREE WITH BOOGIE711, BUT I AM. A motionless safety or deco stop is easer to do and saves gas also. With proper buoancy it feels like your laying in your gear (very relaxing). When you breath in and out it takes time for you body to start moveing up or down. so by breathing properly you body does not move but an inch or two . It does take practice to get there but it is very possible!

When you breath in and out it takes time for you body to start moveing up or down.
exactlly, you don't rise as soon as you inhale, there is a slight delay. I usually begin to rise as I begin to exhale, then begin to fall as I inhale...end up not moving very far at all.

android:
So let me get this straight, you can take nice deep slow breaths at 10 and 20ft and not change your position in the water column. Wow, that defies the laws of physics, you guys must be gods.

One of the keys to maintaining good trim and positioning is to cease unnecessary finning. Too many have not learned to keep their fins still when they are not necessary for movement or positioning adjustment.

I am far from DIR but I have two dive buddies (also not DIR) that have repeatedly expressed their irritation that I can indeed maintain a horizontal position in the water column without moving my feet, hands, or making constant adjustments to my BC.

jplacson:
Ok, I know the actual depth is a bit vague... apporx 5m, or 15 ft... but what's the 'safe' zone?

I worry cuz I find it almost impossible to hold steady at exactly 5m. I float between 4.9-5.8m and I really have to watch my gauge closely... or watch one of my GUE buddies for reference.

If I have a point of reference however, I can hold my position easily.

I haven't taken the DIRF yet... I'm scheduled for next Feb when the boys from Florida are tentatively scheduled to come over.

I'm just trying to learn a little more so that I won't look like a complete stroke taking the DIRF course.

I'm really interested in learning how to approximate depth with your eyes closed!!! That is one of the coolest things I really wanna learn... and the on-the-fly no-deco time calculations!!!! I can't wait (at the same time, I'm nervous) for my DIRF course!

There is some latitude in the depth of the safety stop. My Mares computer initializes my safety stop countdown at twenty feet.

scubbydoo:
There is some latitude in the depth of the safety stop. My Mares computer initializes my safety stop countdown at twenty feet.
Um DIR forum. Relying on your computer to dicate your safety stop is not what the philosophy suggests.

Yes, my vyper, even in gauge mode, asks for a 3 min safety stop between 19 and 12 feet. I ignore it and follow my safe ascent/min deco profile.

jplacson:
I worry cuz I find it almost impossible to hold steady at exactly 5m. I float between 4.9-5.8m and I really have to watch my gauge closely...
I'm not DIR and I have conventional jacket.
Not so long ago I had the same problem and was generally arguing that this is impossible to be steady at 5m. But then with instructor's help I started training this. And it is possible. I'm not perfect yet by my scale changed from yours (movement within 1 meter) to 20 - 30 centimeters. OK, it's a bit different if I do the safety stop in the current - then I have to swim around.

The trick shown to my by instructor was - have proper trim, deflate jacket completely, regulate buoyancy only by breathing and reduce weight. After couple of weekends practicing I suddenly realized that it can be done. So as it was already written - practice, practice and practice.
Mania
PS. Instructor that helped me with this is IANTD but after DIR F

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom