safety stop..how deep?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So let me get this straight, you can take nice deep slow breaths at 10 and 20ft and not change your position in the water column. Wow, that defies the laws of physics, you guys must be gods.

Android - there's no need to get hostile here. If you don't think motionless hovering in the water is possible, I would love to see your face the first time you get in the water with a DIR-F instructor.

We're not saying this to be pricks - we're saying it because it's true. I saw my DIR-F instructor do stuff I would have said was impossible to pull off if I hadn't seen it happen.

Maintain an open mind, and you'll be impressed at what's out there that you may just not have been exposed to.

android:
So let me get this straight, you can take nice deep slow breaths at 10 and 20ft and not change your position in the water column. Wow, that defies the laws of physics, you guys must be gods.

Gods is a bit of an overstatement, although I'm sure that we all appreciate your adulation.

Unfortunately, it's probably more appropriate to call people who can hover "divers-with-average-skill-sets." It's beneficial for all divers. It's absolutely essential if you are going to move on to decompression diving, since a yo-yo profile can win the diver a nice trip in an air ambulance.

While hovering, you will move slightly up and down in the water column. However, with practice, you learn to control your breathing and to maintain depth to within a few inches of your target. This requires time practicing instead of time cyberdiving.

You should note that basic skills such as hovering without clinging desparately to an upline are basic skills for every agency I can think of, including PADI OW, which requires a 60 second hover during Open Water Dive 4. If a diver wasn't required to perform this skill properly, I'd question whether the diver should even be in the water, especially when you consider what other skills might have been missed.

I'm not hostile, I'm awed. Please explain this to me. I've taken calculus based physics and have a good understanding of bouyancy. F=MA and if the bouyancy changes, the force changes and you will accelerate either up or down. The extra mass of double steel tanks probably helps to reduces acceleration and increase control, but you aren't absolutely still. It just ain't possible.

android:
I'm not hostile, I'm awed. Please explain this to me. I've taken calculus based physics and have a good understanding of bouyancy. F=MA and if the bouyancy changes, the force changes and you will accelerate either up or down. The extra mass of double steel tanks probably helps to reduces acceleration and increase control, but you aren't absolutely still. It just ain't possible.

Calculus based physics brings back memories. I remember how much of a pain that course was during my senior year of high school. Wait until you get to differential equations.

1. Maintain horizontal trim, thereby presenting the largest possible surface area and the most resistance to changes in depth.

2. Achieve neutral buoyancy when lungs are about half full.

3. Breathe while monitoring depth. Adjust as appropriate.

4. As mentioned above, you will move up and down slightly. However, it is possible to minimize this movement and keep it to within a few inches. Indeed, as Boogie mentioned, I've seen my DIR-F instructor, his intern and a couple of other guys who could hold depth to the point where the changes were not perceptible.

5. Don't forget that inertia and water resistance play an imporant role. You will move, eventually. The trick is to react before you move much.

6. In my experience, it's far easier to do this in an aluminum tank and a 3mm wetsuit than it is in double steels with a drysuit.

android:
OK, hover within a few inches is believable. I just wasn't seeing how absolutely motionless could work.

As mentioned above, I won't say absolutely motionless. I'll settle for motion that is not perceptible to another diver.

Boogie's right. Check out the video clips at www.5thd-x.com/index2.html. Click on the link for learning, then select skills.

android:
OK, hover within a few inches is believable. I just wasn't seeing how absolutely motionless could work.

physics,,, lets use common sence and practice ,, lets add propulsion into the mix,, to counter the effects of buoyancy,,, might this help in keeping us from moving up or down?,, hell w/ everything else added,, you might be able to stay very still and or motionless,,, why don't you come and see,, take a class,, there is so much more to the story

Ed Hayes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom