Safety sausages and other essential safety gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great questions MeraSonnett,

Please know you are not alone with these questions, in fact you are in the majority. Some great replies came up but we need to add the benefit of deploying an SMB (or DSMB) is also to alert all of the boat traffic (especially in popular spots like COZ) that we are on a safety/DECO stop just below the surface. With thousands of stops under my belt I still get a bit concerned when boats fly right above my head where I am about to surface. It is also worth adding that from a boat captains stand point it can be a real lifesaver with multiple teams surfacing in multiple areas, especially if the weather and/or seas turn inclement.

I would have to disagree with part of this. Sending up a SMB as a prearranged signal to your charter boat is fine but I do not think it is going to deter other boat traffic very well. Many boaters do not know what a dive flag means and some that do just don't care so far less boaters will know what a SMB is for. You are more likely to attract boaters when you send it up and they will want to come over to see what this thing is that just popped up and what it is attached to that is leaking air. Even a well intentioned boater could see this pop up, read the "diver below" sign and think you are in distress and will pull you up in an attempt to help.

I would have to disagree with part of this. Sending up a SMB as a prearranged signal to your charter boat is fine but I do not think it is going to deter other boat traffic very well. Many boaters do not know what a dive flag means and some that do just don't care so far less boaters will know what a SMB is for. You are more likely to attract boaters when you send it up and they will want to come over to see what this thing is that just popped up and what it is attached to that is leaking air. Even a well intentioned boater could see this pop up, read the "diver below" sign and think you are in distress and will pull you up in an attempt to help.

Second that. I have a buoy/flag arrangement that I used maybe a dozen times. It's gathering dust in the woodshed now. I only used it when I thought that boat traffic might be a problem. At least half of those times, some idiot on a jet ski zoomed over and used it for a slalom marker. So it had the opposite of the intended effect. And as others noted, dealing with the reel adds unneeded complexity to the dive.

And as others noted, dealing with the reel adds unneeded complexity to the dive.

Are these others able to manage the complexity of walking and chewing gum at the same time?

:d

But seriously, this is the least "complex" piece of dive gear I own...

hollis.finger.spool.png

Advice for this novice on selecting essential safety gear would be appreciated. As in safety sausage vs. lift bags, signalling devices, etc.

As background... and I am embarrassed a bit at this thread, but I am going to be honest in case it helps out other new divers [hence I put it in this New Divers section to minimize flamethrowing]. I made an unwise choice over the course of my first 35 dives, which have been ocean dives, driftdiving off Cozumel. I put my trust and my safety in many ways (and his!) in the hands of my experienced Advanced Diver buddy (my boyfriend at the time). He carried all the safety equipment, I carried none and knew he had my back. It is past time for me to "grow up" in my diving.

What are the best essentiel safety items that are not overboard cumbersome/complicated, but could save my life and/or my future buddies', say, if I/we got separated from our group and had to calmly, wisely abort the dive and go to the surface alone? I am not a gadget afficianado, so I am looking for efficient and safe and straightforward.

In looking at safety sausages, what makes sense to me is something to inflate at the surface. There are a lot of threads here about deploying bags and such at depth. But I don't get the deploying at depth scenario, frankly. Controlled ascents in the ocean with current, with a safety stop, are familiar to me now, and have not been difficult to achieve drifing along with my buddies. In my novice mind, it makes sense that if I went up without DM and group, I believe I could still do my safety stop in a controlled manner. And then I need a sausage to inflate at the surface. I'm concerned about getting an unecessarily complicated device to deploy at depth just because all the cool kids talk about it, and then killing myself during my own rescue with a spool of rope in my gear yanking me up uncontrolled. What I am missing about the benefits of bags and devices you deploy at depth??? Or are those for a different scenario of diving? Or is that a popular but not necessary approach that folks do?

What else is a basic.. mirror, whistle?? I'm going to be doing some shore diving too this summer in Bonaire with a group. Want to be able to hold my own and my buddy's safety. Can't wait!!!

Thanks and blessings.

Always have a safety sausage when drift diving or any diving. ORANGE is the best color. Also have a whistle and if you really want to be prepared a reflective mirror and for night diving a strobe light.

---------- Post added February 22nd, 2013 at 06:20 PM ----------

Always have a safety sausage when drift diving or any diving. ORANGE is the best color. Also have a whistle and if you really want to be prepared a reflective mirror and for night diving a strobe light.

I can see where boat traffic can be an issue inshore but on an offshore dive if I am drifting along my concern is much more for the lack of a boat than boat traffic. Unless we are on a drift dive, if we do not have an anchor line to ascend from the ledge/wreck we have a problem. In any case an SMB, and a way to shoot it, is important if not essential.

A SMB is a must. I am a little surprised the dive operators did not require you to have your own. Most of the drift dives that I have done in Florida all require each diver to have their own SMB.

To uncfnp: Welcome to diving in the rest of the world. I have had friends, advanced divers and above, allowed to jump in by third world operator boat dive crew without even checking to see if they had their fins on (they didn't). You have to be totally self-reliant when diving in other countries. That is the reason for the movie featuring two divers who got left behind in the ocean, which prompted a movie. The two divers, of course, didn't make it out.

MeraSonnet, you raise a very good and valid question. Thank you for doing this. It apparently reaches lots of people who have misconceptions about safety and dive operators keeping thir safety in mind. I have had at least one friend injured by the improper actions of a foreign divemaster.

[...] keeping thir safety in mind. I have had at least one friend injured by the improper actions of a foreign divemaster.
Foreign divemaster? Isn't that a bit ignorant considering the company you're in? I strongly suggest you rephrase this post. Ignorant and poorly trained maybe, but foreign? After all, the safety in the diving industry is based on world wide experience. (By world wide, I mean the entire planet, not just the states in north america)

Last edited:
To uncfnp: Welcome to diving in the rest of the world. I have had friends, advanced divers and above, allowed to jump in by third world operator boat dive crew without even checking to see if they had their fins on (they didn't). You have to be totally self-reliant when diving in other countries. That is the reason for the movie featuring two divers who got left behind in the ocean, which prompted a movie. The two divers, of course, didn't make it out.

MeraSonnet, you raise a very good and valid question. Thank you for doing this. It apparently reaches lots of people who have misconceptions about safety and dive operators keeping thir safety in mind. I have had at least one friend injured by the improper actions of a foreign divemaster.

You should be fairly self-reliant in your diving, regardless of where in the world you happen to find yourself. The 3rd world dive op you allude to did nothing wrong. Your "advanced diver and above" friends who jumped in without their fins on made the mistake (unless they did this on purpose). If they hadn't been so totally self-reliant, maybe their dive buddy would have suggested they splash with their fins rather than without.

As far as the foreign DM remark is concerned, if you friend was traveling at the time of said incident, it is highly probable that he was the foreigner and the DM was the local.

Hijack done.

I am an American divemaster, and I would let them jump in without fins just to teach them a lesson. I would however, jump in shortly after and bring them their fins, but my point is that people need to take responsibility for themselves. It is not the responsibility of the divemaster to ensure you have all your gear on, this should be done with a buddy check, or at least self-assessment.

Well having been left behind after a dive I have these thoughts for people. When you see the dive boat going off and you are still in the water, you then think about what things you have at your convenience to assist in rescue. DSMB, Personal Locator Beacon, Mirror, Strobe, torch.

For all those people who dont take a new style low profile LED torch with them on every dive because its sunny when you go diving, give some thought to what you are going to do when the sun goes down as you await rescue on that first day. What tool do you have to indicate your location or to attract passing boats?

I do understand peoples issues with idiot boat/jet ski drivers who come over to play with that orange floaty thing, however I deploy a DSMB on all dives unless I am under my dive boat and it is anchored up. I really cant think of a time where I would dive without dive safety gear unless in a bath tub, swimming pool or puddle. My father in law was hit by an idiot boat driver and had his lower legs chopped about. Excuse "Didnt see him", fine $200, pathetic.

An example requiring a DSMB is 2 days ago we went for a dive and on returning to the down line, it was very apparent that a strong current was now running which wasnt there before. We were stopped at the 3m deco stop and the current run that hard we had to abandone the line and drift, deploying a DSMB. When we went down the visability was ok but degraded during the dive. Not having a DSMB would be unthinkable in that circumstance.

Unfortuantely many conditions dont announce themselves prior to the dive. Once in the water without a minimum amount of essential safety gear, it can be far too late to prevent the inevitable from happening.

In Australia, an orange DSMB is the norm to mark diver position, a yellow one is used for an emergency ONLY and should have a dive slate attached to advise of the emergency. DSMB are also good to mark a find in the water (say an anchor found) for salvage. The finger spool is good for deploying the DSMB, finding your way in poor vis, penetrating a wreck etc etc.

Our captain is so good, even in a strong current, if you pop your DSMB and do a deco, he is always within 10 m (30ft) of your position on surfacing even with strong currents running. Professionally done.

Although I like to be streamlined, I have as a minimum, DSMB, reel, mirror, knife and cutter, PLB, torch, strobe, 2 dye markers, dive alert. This all packs away neatly whether I use a BCD or tech wing. As a diver I am responsible for my safety before anything else. If I make no effort what am I saying about myself. My wife also has a Lifeline radio instead of a PLB, but has everything else same as me. If we are split up she is then capable of helping in her own rescue. Last week I had to release my DSMB due to a tangle while at depth which risked pulling me to the surface. No big deal, I used my wifes already deployed DSMB and the boat rescued my now floating beacon. Dont always depend on your buddy for everything, be self sufficient.

So before you go off for that lovely dive on the Barrier reef with rental gear and no safety gear, think about how it will feel when you see the stern of the dive boat dissapearing into the distance, knowing it may be 12-18 hrs before it may come back to the same area. How are you going to attract the attention of someone before its gone, or the boat some 300-500m away. Been there once and never wish to repeat the experience.

Anyone discussed diver check lists, you know, those things that responsible dive boat staff should/must/shall fill in to prevent leaving people behind. Suprising how many boat staff dont do this simple check of diver numbers to fulfill their obligations.

Back
Top Bottom