Safety sausages and other essential safety gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MeraSonnet

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Advice for this novice on selecting essential safety gear would be appreciated. As in safety sausage vs. lift bags, signalling devices, etc.

As background... and I am embarrassed a bit at this thread, but I am going to be honest in case it helps out other new divers [hence I put it in this New Divers section to minimize flamethrowing]. I made an unwise choice over the course of my first 35 dives, which have been ocean dives, driftdiving off Cozumel. I put my trust and my safety in many ways (and his!) in the hands of my experienced Advanced Diver buddy (my boyfriend at the time). He carried all the safety equipment, I carried none and knew he had my back. It is past time for me to "grow up" in my diving.

What are the best essentiel safety items that are not overboard cumbersome/complicated, but could save my life and/or my future buddies', say, if I/we got separated from our group and had to calmly, wisely abort the dive and go to the surface alone? I am not a gadget afficianado, so I am looking for efficient and safe and straightforward.

In looking at safety sausages, what makes sense to me is something to inflate at the surface. There are a lot of threads here about deploying bags and such at depth. But I don't get the deploying at depth scenario, frankly. Controlled ascents in the ocean with current, with a safety stop, are familiar to me now, and have not been difficult to achieve drifing along with my buddies. In my novice mind, it makes sense that if I went up without DM and group, I believe I could still do my safety stop in a controlled manner. And then I need a sausage to inflate at the surface. I'm concerned about getting an unecessarily complicated device to deploy at depth just because all the cool kids talk about it, and then killing myself during my own rescue with a spool of rope in my gear yanking me up uncontrolled. What I am missing about the benefits of bags and devices you deploy at depth??? Or are those for a different scenario of diving? Or is that a popular but not necessary approach that folks do?

What else is a basic.. mirror, whistle?? I'm going to be doing some shore diving too this summer in Bonaire with a group. Want to be able to hold my own and my buddy's safety. Can't wait!!!

Thanks and blessings.

A SMB is a must. I am a little surprised the dive operators did not require you to have your own. Most of the drift dives that I have done in Florida all require each diver to have their own SMB. A whistle and mirror are also good ideas and take up very little space and no weight.

A lift bag is a little different in that they are used to "lift" things (like fish) to the surface prior to surfacing. For most of us recreation divers, no need to deploy SMB until you reach the surface and then only one person in the group usually needs to deploy.

This one is very similar to the one I use

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Seeme_signal

Last edited:
There's a big difference in making a drifting absent in clear water and doing it in dark, green water with no visual references. In the later case, being able to deploy the SMB from depth and use it as a guide is valuable, not only for you but also for you dive buddy(ies) who may not be so comfortable with such ascents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There's a big difference in making a drifting absent in clear water and doing it in dark, green water with no visual references. In the later case, being able to deploy the SMB from depth and use it as a guide is valuable, not only for you but also for you dive buddy(ies) who may not be so comfortable with such ascents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes, of course. I was thinking more of the mostly warm water tropical type of diving that the OP mentioned. Cold water or technical is another thing entirely.

You deploy your SMB from depth so that the boat can spot you while you complete your Safety Stop. It is especially handy on drift dives when large groups may separate into smaller ones due to current or if you have multiple groups to begin with. They are of an even bigger benefit when you are diving in an area where there may be overhead boat traffic upon surfacing. There are definitely a few to choose from but for basic recreational diving a simple SMB with a finger spool is all you really need. This is the one I personally use: WDS Deluxe Marker [All in one System] - surfacemarker.com but I ditched the included webbing for a $12 finger spool as the webbing isn't very long and it is definitely cumbersome. It has your mirror if you need one and a whistle is never a bad idea. Just like any other dive skill you have learned you will need to practice with it occasionally to keep from getting rusty and from what I understand, Bonaire might have just the conditions to have someone walk you through using it the first few times. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Welcome MeraSonet,

You will learn a lot here, but carefully filter the wisdom you receive.

Make sure you have trained on the use of whatever gear you choose, many items can be difficult and present thier own safety issues. Surface Marker Buoys deployed on a reel are an example of a safety item that can cause safety problems .

Take only what you need- not every safety item is needed on every dive.

Note that we often get ourselves all confused in these discussions. You mentioned a SafetySausage and we began a discussion about the merits of Surface Marker Buoys (SMBs). While a Safety Sausage is a type of SMB, it's not one that is meant to be shot on a reel from the bottom. Those are Delayed Surface Marker Buoys (DSMB) and you should get training before relying on one of those. DSMBs are designed to stand tall on the water and be visible from a long way away- they are usually 5'-6' long when deployed and at least 6" wide.

The Safety Sausage type SMB is usually 2.5 -4" wide when inflated and between 36 and 40" long when deployed. Safety Sausages stay rolled up in your pocket and are meant to be waved by hand when the diver is on the surface. They can be used with a reel and are very handy, but for someone who hasn't learned how to manage a reel, they are a hand signal. Once you learn how to use a reel, the safety sausage goes in the dive bucket and most divers will prefer the DSMB.

A safety sausage is a nice item to have and you can practice inflating it on the surface without much risk. It's easy to use and doesn't cost much.

My advice is the best safety accessory you could invest in is...

... Another SCUBA class! :)

When you take advanced and Rescue, you will have an appreciation for what you really need and want for the type of diving you are equipped to do! And if someone asks you to do a dive for which you have not trained- Either go get the training or don't do the dive.

Besides, people who hang out at SCUBA shops are cool.

That's my $.02

I also like to carry my backup dive light. It is small so takes up very little room, good to look into cracks and crevices and can be used as a signal. Mine has a strobe function. Obviously, more visible for signally at dusk and night but makes me feel a little better to have it with me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom