Safety Sausage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_original_flyboy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Howdy,

I am thinking to get a safety sausage. Any suggestion on how to choose one and where can I find have good stuff with good deal?

Thx.

RJ

Phil is that xs a closed circuit system? I have one now that is semi closed. I am looking for a big one that I can start to fill with my reg and then tighten up with a mouth up and use for both a signal as well as a float.

I would think first thing to decide is for what purpose and where are you mainly going to be using it. If you plan on only having it as an emergency signaling device that you will pretty much blow up on surface, I would get something very visible and large that is closed circuit, and easy to hang onto.

However, if you plan to (also) use it as a surface marker buoy often, ie shoot it up from depth to mark your position there are maybe a few more things to take into account. Ease of use becomes more of an issue. It is not most comfortable and handy, say on drift dives, to handle very large SMBs, and in some environments you do not really need to be THAT visible especially if it’s not emergency. If that was the main purpose, smaller one would be way more desirable for most cases.

Also think where you will be carrying it. The bigger the more space it takes. Maybe you do not need a huge one on some quarry/lake dives. I personally carry small (3ft), orally inflatable one for lake/river/quarry dives where I use it to just indicate my position. In ocean I carry 6 ft “Big Frank” in addition to the small one.

I have this one from Scubatoys, two tone color and great price at $30 they have a bigger one for $40.

Attachments

• JohnWithTube.jpg
    JohnWithTube.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 52
There are plenty of dive shops in Austin. You're not going to get an "Internet deal," but for a few extra bucks you'll get someone to help you find what you need based on the criteria you develop. There are plenty of options. Talk to Mike at Austin Aqua Sports, or John L. at Scubaland North, or Mack at Oak Hill. I'd skip the others, but that's my own personal bias.

Wow, that jumps way overboard there... Like piikki said before, you need to find out what use you need out of it. If you're planning on using it as a SMB at any point to hang from (shoot from depth), then closed system is out. In that case, I would also advise looking into finger spools. And for the bag, 35-50lbs is usually more than sufficient for that, but make sure they have a small opening on the bottom into the bag, as to help prevent air loss when the bag spills over on the surface.

There was a review done in Scuba Diving Mag a couple of months ago. Look on their web site it has them listed. I believe the Dan was rated the best for vis, price,and it comes with a wistle and mirror. Of course the tallest is going to be more visiable but 6' was seen up to 1mi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom