Safety Sausage Size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaregia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking at picking up a safety sausage because I'm currently doing my first offshore dives and they're sorta freaking me out. The LDS has both 45" and 72" models. Is there any reason to get the smaller one? Is it significantly more difficult to inflate the larger one?

Alternately, would it be more prudent to forgo the safety sausage and use my money for a proper SMB and a finger spool?

This thread may be of use to you: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/general-scuba-equipment-discussions/211950-best-signalling-equipment-searchers-point-view.html

I remember a dive magazine did a review a few years back on effectiveness of different types of safety equipment, i.e. sausage/SMB, whistle, etc. I believe the conclusion was the larger/taller the sausage/SMB, the easier it was to spot.

I would suggest going for the larger model and get an SMB. You never know when you may have to launch one. It can always be inflated on the surface if you don't need to send it up. I've used mine several times. It was comforting, especially in Cozumel, that I was less likely to surface wearing a boat as a hat.

I carry the DAN SMB and a 60 foot finger spool on all my dives. It is bulky, but that's not an issue now that I added pockets to my wetsuits.

I wouldn't worry a whole lot about drifting away from the boat or being left behind. If the conditions warrant concern, I'm sure the boat will detail the procedure for safely diving from, and returning to, the boat. Unless they ask you to tip before you dive, they're probably going to be fairly interested in getting you back on board as well. :D

It never hurts to be prepared for the unexpected, though. And the equipment is no good to you if left on the boat, so make sure you find a way to carry it with you.

I second what Rand said and also recommend DAN's SMB. It is very functional in many situations. I carry one identical to it in make, minus the extras, on every dive. I also have a 100ft finger spool attached to it in the event I need to shoot it to the surface. On the surface it can also double as a flotation device. Go to DAN's website DAN Divers Alert Network and find it in their catalog. It isn't cheap but in my opinion it's worth every penny.

The shorter ones will work if you always dive in calm conditions. :D
Like those above I opted for the DAN DSMB. There are many good ones on the market. OMS makes a good one as does XS Scuba. One feature that I suggest looking for in a SMB is an anti-spill bottom. This reduces the chances of it deflating when it hit the surface.
Just an FYI, Scuba Toys has the DAN DSMB for much less than directly from DAN.

My friends who dive in Monterey use the 3' SMBs, at least they have when I have dived with them.

If you are going to inflate something only on the surface, it doesn't much matter how big it is from a difficulty standpoint. If you are going to inflate it underwater, the large ones are difficult to manage from shallow depths (because you have to get so much air into them to get them to stand up).

If you do decide to get an SMB to deploy from underwater (which is really nice, if you get blown off or can't find the anchor line, because it lets the boat know where you are before you are very far away) please hook up with someone who knows how to do it and get some mentoring. It's not difficult to do, but there are some potential problems you might not know to avoid. Rick Inman can tell you a story of being dragged up from 75 feet, when he got tangled in his SMB line . . .

It looks like the DAN one is a surface-only model? Is there any reason to avoid less expensive SMBs? I'm looking at Pirhana's offerings right now and they seem substantially cheaper than many others.

I'll definitely get some mentoring before trying to shoot one underwater myself. It seems like a rather embarrassing way to kill myself.

I use this one - BCA - 255 SMB 5'2" [SIZE=-1](157 cm)[/SIZE] L 30 lb. [SIZE=-1](13 kg)[/SIZE] lift

OMS Lift Bags & Surface Marker Buoys http://www.OMSdive.com

I have a 100 foot finger spool attached to it. It is tucked away neatly in my back plate. I like this one for two reasons primarily...One is it sits nice and tall out of the water and I can use it as a lift bag. I also have the 9 footer one. I use that for when I am in larger bodies of water.

- Deployment is tricky the first few times. So yes practice makes perfect and also can make any blooper reel...I had an episode where the line wrapped around my finger and yanked my glove off. Another time as I was deploying my SMB I dropped the finger spool and it unraveled itself leaving me finger spool-less and holding the bag. my buddy and I looked at each other in disbelief and broke out laughing..flooding our masks - Lets just say my safety stop was rewinding the spool once I managed to FISH the line back.

Bigger is better but it depends on the dive environment. Open seas...I would go with a minimum of 6 feet with a finger spool no less than a hundred foot line. And one that can be inflated underwater.

I would suggest going for the larger model and get an SMB.

Same here. I have a small yellow Akona SMB that I keep together with a spool which is always in my BC or thigh pocket everytime I dive. I also have the orange 7' XS Scuba safety sausage that I carry during any offshore/remote dives. Heck if I need to I can stack them and be even more visible. :eyebrow:

It looks like the DAN one is a surface-only model?

The DAN SMB is deployable from depth. The open bottom and flapper valve allow you to fill it using your octo/alt-air source. The flapper valve allows air in and keeps air from coming out once on the surface. The overpressure / manual release valve keeps the SMB from overinflating and bursting as the air in it expands as it ascends.

I practice shooting it every chance I get. It does take practice to do it right.

It looks like the DAN one is a surface-only model? Is there any reason to avoid less expensive SMBs? I'm looking at Pirhana's offerings right now and they seem substantially cheaper than many others.

The DAN one is deployable from depth. It can be inflated orally, via power inflator hose, or 2nd stage.

As for materials, like everything else, you get what you pay for. The DAN model is made of a thick material and has stood up nicely over the 3 years I've had it. For something that you want to work right the first time, which could very well be an emergency situation, I would say spend the few extra bucks and get top of the line.

My wife uses a Hollis one that is of similar material to the DAN SMB. I prefer the DAN SMB due to it having the velcro pocket and included mirror, whistle, and light stick. All good back up devices to have.

I purchased a cheaper lift bag (for lifting, not used as SMB) that is made of a thinner material and have noticed it now has a small pin hole in it. I would buy the best the first time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom