Safety Sausage deployment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pool Dives can kill too Sub.
You just cannot be too careful....
IJS.

Chug
Also likes rubber duckies in the tubbie.

Thanks. Thats it I'm going to start taking the Safety Sausage in the pool too! :D:D

I bought a 6 ft. xs-scuba smb last year and used it up in Jupiter. I had been
using a 5 ft. zeagle which I actually like the size of a bit more than the xs-scuba.
I brought the xs-scuba to jupiter just to try it and it is a bit larger to tote along
attached to the bc but when it is deployed and fully inflated it makes quite a statement.
I deployed from depth and did not want to over inflate and
it ended up being a bit less than completely inflated on the surface. But for
fun and maybe get a reaction from the captain I fully inflated at surface and held
straight up. I was only 100 feet or so from the boat but thought what better time
to test it. For most situations my 5 ft. zeagle will be my smb of choice but if
I ever ended up in 6-8 footers or more and a ways from the boat that 6 ft xs-scuba
would be the way to go. The bigger they are the more air is required to inflate but
the pay back is the improved visibilty.

Last edited:
I'm preparing an article for Alert Diver on emergency signaling equipment. Any chance you could give me some more details on the situation you describe? Would like to quote you, but we can keep your name confidential if you prefer.

Thanks for your help. If you like, you can send me an email at RNRosseir@gmail.com

I'm preparing an article for Alert Diver on emergency signaling equipment. Any chance you could give me some more details on the situation you describe? Would like to quote you, but we can keep your name confidential if you prefer.

Thanks for your help. If you like, you can send me an email at RNRosseir@gmail.com

Hi Robert45,
I would be happy to provide more details. If you have specific questions etc... please ask.

PM Sent Also.

Yea I like my DSMB :) Mandatory for the diving I do given it is mostly off live boats. At the end of the dive, usually on my 15m stop I put one up and the boat comes to get me. Means I was pretty lazy about learning how to navigate though :wink:

You might want to include that in the UK BSAC teach the deployment of DSMBs as part of core training:

Sports Diver - static from the bottom.
Dive Leader - mid-water deployment.

Regards

Edward

Although BSAC for some crazy reason dont teach exhaust bubble inflation and prefer to purge regs in cold water despite recommending not to purge regs in cold water....and you certainly cant fill them with a hog loop setup!

Dont forget ScotSAC,SAA and other agencies all teach DSMB deployment in core training as well, its not just the domain of BSAC.

DSMBs should be mandatory equipment for anyone diving off boats and highly recommended for anyone diving anywhere. I send one up 2-3 times a day every day as part of work.

And FWIW the 3ft things are useless for spotting divers in anything but a quarry. In the sea with even a slight swell or sun glare the things are invisible from more than 15m away.

Get a proper sized one if sea diving. And an orange one - these are easiest to spot from a boat (yellow are easier to spot from the air but now standardised as "i need help" anyway)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom