Safety Sausage deployment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1_T_Submariner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know this subject has been disscussed a few times on Scubaboard. But, I thought it was worth bringing up again in the "Basic Scuba" forum.

I take a Safety Sausage on every boat dive with me. After 4+ years and 250+ dives I finally had to use it to get the boats attention. There were 3 of us diving off of a liveaboard and looking for a small wreck. We got off course then 2 of us seprerated from the 3rd.
We looked for the 3rd for 1-2 minutes then surface (Shallow 25 feet no Deco etc...) looked for the 3rd as the current pushed us farther from the boat.

Tried waving and giving OK sign to get boats attention. No good. Inflated 6ft Orange safety sausage the boat sent a tender to get us. 3rd diver had just made it back to the boat.

The Crew said when we got back on the 6ft Orange safety sausage was the easiest to see they did mention the 3 ft yellow ones are difficult they look like white caps.

I carry the Safety Sausage sold by DAN. I always thought it was a pain because its big etc... Not anymore.

Oh if the boat wouldn't have seen us we could have either tried to swim against the current back to the boat. Or with the current to shore 200yds.

A safety sausage could be almost be considered mandatory equipment. I've always got one, along with a lift bag and a finger reel, and an auditory signaling device that works above and below water that ties into my low pressure inflator...among other things.

Compact, lightweight and easy to carry, you don't even know it's there. So many reasons to carry it. Not only so you can get your boat to find you, but so that other boats won't "accidently" find you (by running you over).

I am going to do a liveaboard this April. On this ship it is mandatory to have a safety sausage. I found a fingerspool at Scubatoys for only $7.95. I got the same one and like it for $12.00 from the same site. I wished I would of waited a few more weeks I could of saved money.

Finger Spool reviews and discounts, ScubaToys

I am going to do a liveaboard this April. On this ship it is mandatory to have a safety sausage. I found a fingerspool at Scubatoys for only $7.95. I got the same one and like it for $12.00 from the same site. I wished I would of waited a few more weeks I could of saved money.

Yeah that wasted $4.25 would have ruined my day too.

Somehow you're just going to have to figure out a way to accept it.

YOU are going to have to figure out how to subtract. Or put the 20c towards a new calculator!

I think I can handle it. Hay do you wear glasses or contacts Doc.? :D

LOL that's what I get for skim reading

I like to think that is my problem. But the truth is I need glasses but afraid it will mess up my diving.:D

I like to think that is my problem. But the truth is I need glasses but afraid it will mess up my diving.:D

Glasses don't work all that well with diving. The temples do a nice job of breaking the mask seal, among other reasons.

Back
Top Bottom