Safety sausage as a marker buoy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOLL...Just to make it clear. I am not a techdiver. I just do not follow the recreational way of things too much. I am doing it simpler..:wink:

Udo Hartig:
As a tech diver you know what it’s about, and it isn’t always easy. I am all for finger spools for what you are doing.

The Surface Marker WDS is for recreational divers doing no more than a safety stop. I have used reels and spools for many years IMO this is best suited for non tech diver.:D

We have more products later this year that will suite you as a tech diver.

I think it is a bad idea. Boaters, including those who have taken boating safety, are trained to look out for a diving flag or a flag on a float.

Safety sausage offer low visibility, they often lay flat in the water, and actually might bring attention to boaters who might get closer for a second look.

Our goal should be to maximize visibility at the surface and use standard marking that all boaters know and respect.

I think that Udo Hartig has offered good input on a high quality product, something of an upgrade from Charly's homemade system - that will appeal to some, not to others.

I see no need in attacking his product of some obvious merit and appeal. I may not buy one, but I respect it as a good product, and thank him for discussing it with us. :wink:

fisherdvm on the other hand, never makes sense to me.

fisherdvm:
I think it is a bad idea. Boaters, including those who have taken boating safety, are trained to look out for a diving flag or a flag on a float.

Not sure where you're from (no profile info), but around here that's sure not the case. Who trains boaters to recognize dive flags?

fisherdvm:
Our goal should be to maximize visibility at the surface and use standard marking that all boaters know and respect.

I agree. Carter makes (made?) an SMB with a removable dive flag at the top. Seems like a good idea to me.

Matter of fact, I've been thinking of writing SOS in big letters at the top of my SMB, then covering it with a removable dive flag. That way on 'normal' ascents I can send it up with the flag, and if I have an emergency I can rip off the flag and send it up with the SOS visible.

the small SMB'S AKA'S Akona-are toys they arenot that great. BUT any sausage that has been deployed properly will stand up right. Anything to mark your position and can be seen is a good thing.

What would you propose to use other wise? Drag around a float and flag? or a small inner tube flag?

Not all boaters respect the diver down flag. Nor do sea dooers, waver runner operators...they use the Diver down flag as a marker for speed and turns...

Boater run over wrecks that are MARKED with charter operators tied off to them and flags are in the air. Stiill some do not respect that.

I have been in hairy situations where BOATERs disregarded the flag a flew over our heads. Seadoo users used it as a turning bouy...and ya thing they took a boater saftey course...HUM

As for the product. Udn Hartig, I think it is a good tool. I just do not like the lanyard.

fisherdvm:

Safety sausage offer low visibility, they often lay flat in the water, and actually might bring attention to boaters who might get closer for a second look.

scarefaceDM:
This is why I rather have a finger spool incase the SMB gets dragged by current. I have more control this way as the line will unspool rather than drag me up with it.

Got a couple of questions for you, Scareface:

How much line do you carry? If the current is carrying your SMB then it is eventually going to hit the end of the line and start taking you with it, right? So I'm curious as to how much line you carry and how much time you estimate you have before a moderate surface current carries the buoy to the end?

And if you have that much line, then the surface marker is no longer marking your position, is it?

Just asking 'cuz it seems to me I'd be better off being carried by the current than have my marker carried away and the boat looking for me down-current.

Well, I just got alerted that something I posted was misunderstood. Got an email from someone who thought I was advocating my "cheap and easy" DIY marker (pic in my gallery) be used for a safety sausage. That was NOT the intended use of the device!!! I made it to be used as a "throw away" marking device, suitable only for tagging something of interest (meeting point, underwater hazard, item to be lifted later, etc...) The original post dealt with whether a SS could be used for a marker. I replied that I had done that but I interpreted that (probably wrong) to mean a marker to be attached to an object and left. I stated I have qualms about leaving my SS like that, so that's why I came up with the "disposeable marker". I recently used it to tag an anchor I found in a lake, for example.
Sorry if I gave the impression that this thing was to be used for anything other than a tag. I always carry a completely reliable safety sausage and use it in the way it was intended.

O2BBubbleFree:
Got a couple of questions for you, Scareface:

How much line do you carry? If the current is carrying your SMB then it is eventually going to hit the end of the line and start taking you with it, right? So I'm curious as to how much line you carry and how much time you estimate you have before a moderate surface current carries the buoy to the end?

And if you have that much line, then the surface marker is no longer marking your position, is it?

Just asking 'cuz it seems to me I'd be better off being carried by the current than have my marker carried away and the boat looking for me down-current.

It doesn't matter if the smb is directly over your head while you're down. If you come up your line you will surface at the bouy. The bouy's message is not "I am here!" it's "I'm coming up here!"

Well to put it mildly...I am not far behind it.

1- 150 foot finger spool.
2- Yes I am still marking my position.
3- SMB is for markin WHERE your going to come up. No the ACTUAL position of deployment. It is not a FIXED SMB. Not a Fixed dive flag or tie-on Bouy.

If I am in the current I am drifting. so I am floating with the SMB. I deploy this SMB when I am ready to start making my first stop. My first PLANNED stop is at 20 feet.

How much line is deployed is relative to the depth I deploy it. I never let it go to an end of spool. that is poor planning and poor control of your tool.

Deploying a SMB and spool in current your usually behind it. Distance, I figured about 10-20 feet behind the marker. At 20 feet deep. As I FLY and maintain my bouyancy I can see the marker above. As I move up to my next stop 15 feet. I wind the SMB spool accordingly. If I feel a PULL. I let some line out as to CONTROL my stop. Still DRIFTing the current. Then I move up to 10 feet for my final stop STILL maintining my bouyancy. If I FEEL a tug I release some line.

At this final point I am about 10 feet from surface and about 10 to 20 feet from the SMB. When deploying an SMB in current your DRIFTING with it If your fixed.or HOLDING an acent line. Ther is no need for an SMB. chances are your already on a SMB which is FIXED.

O2BBubbleFree:
Sure it is. You'll only have it deployed while ascending/stopped, and you'll be re-spooling the line as you go to take the slack out. Since you're reeling in as you ascend, you'll eventually come up where the marker is. It marks where you'll surface... where you're making your 20' stop isn't particularly important, and the marker isn't meant to indicate that.

O2BBubbleFree:
How much line do you carry? If the current is carrying your SMB then it is eventually going to hit the end of the line and start taking you with it, right?
Not necessarily... if there's a current moving your marker, there's likely also a current moving you, regardless of whether or not there's tension on your line. It can be an issue if you do a deep deployment in a cross current, but that's rarely necessary for a recreational diver.

I personally have spools with 75', 125', 175', and 250' of line respectively. Which I choose to bring depends on the dive, but it's usually either the 125' or 250'. Even from my deep stops, I can be pretty confidant the marker will surface before the current uses up the spool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom