Safety sausage as a marker buoy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure what you're asking. Are you wondering if you can use a safety sausage as a DSMB? If so, then "maybe". Depends on the depth and initial fill. I'd just get something designed for the task (i.e. s/t with an OPV).

most safety sausage well explode if send aloft deeper thin 50 60 ft. Get one with a burst valve. It is a good Ida.

Skeeter1097:
most safety sausage well explode if send aloft deeper thin 50 60 ft. Get one with a burst valve. It is a good Ida.
Got pics? You've seen one explode? :confused:

I've deployed mine - an economy model with only a manual valve - from 70 ft a few times. Put a bit of air in, maybe 1/3 full or so, and keep the line snug as you let it go up.

My TDI/Padi Inst teaches this way. He said he's seem some get really tight, but never seen one burst.

They only cost $15 guys. Try it before you say it can't be done. Done it.

Ok, next time I'll get pics.

Some of the economy surface models of which Don speaks actually do vent if over inflated, through the material.
They probably were not designed that way, I think it would probably be a matter of time before they do fail.
Having said that, I say get one designed to be inflated at depth.

WetFatCat:
Sausage as a marker buoy? Is it possible? Is it a bad idea?

If you mean"marker buoy" in the true sense such as to mark a free water ascent point so the dive boat can get in position or to surface safely mid dive without getting run over by a boat then sure. Remember that is some spots there are silent boats such as canoes and kayaks.

Just in case you are referring to a dive flag as required in some locations then the answer is no. Dive flag requirements usually spell out the classic divers down red with white strip flag in some form. On top of that the buoy would subject to the breeze and be a PITA to tow around.

As for rupturing the bag I think we can all recognize that if the diver is deep enough and adds enough air before releasing and there is no OPV some buoys will rupture. It's all about knowing when enough is enough.

Pete

The sausage that I have is big enough to be a SMB...and probably a small lift bag. It has an open bottom as well as a valve.

4_x_44_sausage_cord.jpg

This combination of surface marker buoy and 30' of 2mm cord lives permanently in my BCD pocket.

It's the common 4"x44" sausage sold as a surface signalling marker at many diveshops. I deploy it from 20' or so by pulling the boltsnap out from underneath the cord, and letting the weight of the boltsnap strip off the cord. THen I inflate it with one good full breath and let it go.

I've tested it by fulling inflating it at 100' and letting it pop up to the surface. The excess air just fizzes out through the fabric itself. I did the experiment after noticing a DM in Cozumel that used a similar sausage as a delayed marker buoy and inquired about whether or not he had to put in just the right amount of air to have it fully inflated, but not explode. He said "no problem, man", and explained about the semipermeable fabric -- then I confirmed it on the next couple of dives.

As you can see, the setup is nice and small. Small enough that I always have it in my BCD pocket (actually I don't bother removing it from my BCD when rinsing, but that's another issue). A few times when I've used it, other divers have told me about the wonderful, much better sausage and reel setup that they have. Unfortunately, their much better sausages spend most of their life on the boat in the gearbag rather than being with the diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom