Sadness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firebrand

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Four weeks ago to the day I lost my grandmother to cancer. I lost my father-in-law to a heart attack on 26 July, and now the Army has me serving as a casualty assistance officer to a family who's father (also in the military) passed away. The father was only five years older than I am. I'm feeling pretty low right now, and my wife is still with her mother. I'm hoping that by the time my B-day comes (in two weeks) things will be going better. I really need something to go right at this point in my life.

I'll be praying for you and ask that God shows you his peace and love. Stay strong.

Fire....

I've done duty as a DNO...Death Notification Officer....and as a SAO....Survival Assistance Officer....been there...done that.

If I can offer any advice, take how you feel about your losses and use it to understand how the familiy you are helping feel. Remember you are helping the family of a brother or sister in arms and that the family is counting on you. You are the only link they have to help them with the maze of confusing and contridicting information they are about to encounter.

Of all the ""extra"" duties I ever executed while I was in the service, these two (DNO & SAO) were the two I made sure I gave it my all.

I wish I could say it will be easy and no problems will come up. But that would not be anywhere near the truth. You will have to bite the bullet on your pain when you are with them and do all you can for them. They will be counting on you.....and....you will determine how easy or difficult the passing of their love one.....one of our brothers....will be.

Hang in there. Stand strong in front of the family. Yell, scream or cry at home. Its about them.

Feel free to pm me any time.

rich
(LTC Ret)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom