SAD>>> how furs are made... :-((((((((((

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Valid point. I don't wear decorative fur myself, yet I do know PETA type people who think it's OK to wear an animals skin as long as one "shaves" it first. I also agree with you, use as much of the sacrificed animal as possible.

The "do you eat meat" and "do you wear leather" arguments are comparing apples and oranges when considering fur. None of the sought after fur bearing animals are animals that are consumed. They are simply raised so that someone can kill them for the fur off their backs. Wearing fur is simply killing for vanity's sake.

So, we should not use critters that we don't eat for medical research as well???

MikeC:
So, we should not use critters that we don't eat for medical research as well???

While I don't agree with a lot of research that takes place on animals, there is a huge difference between medical research and wearing fur. Once serves a purpose of (hopefully) going a long way to saving human lives while the other is simply an exercise in vanity. We are now moving from apples to oranges to apples and beans.

Snowbear:
Thanks, Shaka.

It's appalling to think someone may have skinned those animals alive just to create a shock film in the name of whatever cause put this out :mad:

Unfortunately, I don't really believe the fur commission here either....

cmt489:
Yeah - unfortunately both sides have an agenda.
Both sides find the need to discredit the other.
Personally, I would rather make up my own mind or at least see the analysis of a truly impartial 3rd party who had access to the unedited video.

The only fur I am inclined to wear is that from animals that are also eaten... like seals. Killing an animal only for it's fur and throwing the rest away is just too wasteful. My mom has a beautiful sealskin parka that was made over 40 years ago. It was hand made for her by an Alaska Native woman. Back then, nothing of the animal was wasted. Even the stomach contents were eaten :11: Even animals that "we" don't consider edible, like polar bears and wolves, were eaten.

cmt489:
Everyone has an agenda in this case.

I can not imagine a buyer for a clothing manufacturer wanting pelts treated that way and I can not imagine skinners putting themselves at that kind of risk.

It would appear the fur people are a bit closer to the truth here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom