Sad day for my Force Fins.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not every dive shop has staff that read forums and industry news all day while they are supposed to be working. Force Fins used to be sold at Sharper Image and some people may still honestly believe they are snorkeling fins.

Just correct such people diplomatically and carry a picture a picture of Richie Kohler in his fins.

A Dive Professional is supposed to up to date on equipment.....This doesnt sound like the case. Those fins have been in diving for many years now. Sharper Image wasnt a couple months ago....we are talking years.

Please send us the name of that dive shop and the instructors and the OWNERS name. I highly recommend calling SSI quality assurance department and informing them of this heinious information that their "staff" are giving out and the sales ultimatum that he has put on you. It would be a good idea to post that information here as well so that collectively we can apply some pressue on this guy and get this problem corrected

call SSI at (970)482-0883

...and then of course to have the nerve to recommend APS Mantaray fins, what a flaming... I mean really, the second worst fin tested by... dare I say it... Rodales. You would be better off barefoot. The MAX speed they tested it at was 1.8 MPH, come on... you don't need fins to go that slow.

Easy route to completing your cert is to borrow a "suitable" pair of fins for your cert dives.

Or, if you like a fight, contest the instructors proclamation with the shop and with SSI. If you payed with a CC, you may have to cancel the payment if they do not make this right. If you payed by check, it could be a lot more difficult following this up in small claims court if necessary.

Wow. He is really pushing his stuff. I don't know how much credibility I would give to someone who does this. I never mandate what a student has to buy or wear. As part of the course, I must go over various types of equipment and we discuss and look at all of them. What a student wears in the water, if it is their own equipment, is a personal choice. Some things work better than others for different people.

It's one thing to try to sell gear, it's quite another to make a student that already owns several sets of fins buy another pair.

You can either talk to the owner, or borrow a pair of SCUBAPro Jet Fins from someone. They haven't changed the design in 40 years and I'd like to see him explain why they would be unacceptable for SCUBA Diving.

I would not buy fins from the shop just to make him happy if you already have several pair.

Terry

On the good news I got a 96% on the written exam at my LDS. But, as for my snorkel package, my dive instructor looked through my snorkel gear and disapproved my Force Fin Accelerators w/ whiskers, Force Fin Extra Force w/ whiskers and also my new yellow Force Fin Pros that I ordered a week ago! He said that my fins won't do and they are all for snorkeling.

Unfortunately, I can't object my instructor's judgment also sever ties with my LDS whom they are at close proximity and their service is helpful. All in all, I guess it is a sad day for my for my Force Fins and that I will just have to buy another set that may like to purchase (APS Mantaray) and use my Force Fins some other time. I sure wish many dive shops would approve of these beautiful and bazaar fins.

Why didn't you get the PADI cert before?

How come you have three sets of force fins, even though you are officially not certified and only have 0-24 dives per your profile? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's unusual so I'm wondering what the story is.

And why cannot you get a cert card from any other dive shop / dive agency?

Why would taking instruction from another instructor sever ties with your current LDS?

And if you insist on taking a course from that particular instructor, why not just borrow "regular" fins from a friend, or buy a pair of cheap used ones off craig's list or ebay to use for the course, and then switch back to the force fins after?

Wow! I'm on a slow day, but OMG! I've never heard of a shop that requires A, B, or C...

Here in Fl., if you pay for the course you will be instructed... They might try to "soft sell" you on some gear, but they don't give a full inspection of your gear... mask, check... Fins, check... snorkel, check... weight belt, check... Diver ready for pool, check...

What happened was that I took my PADI OW class in Okinawa with the same instructor, a retired Navy Hospital Corpsman Chief. Well he had all my forms to the end, sent in my friends' paper work to get their cert card and yet he didn't send mine. When I tried to find him, he was ducking and dodging until he basically vanished and I without a cert card.

I used to push for the PADI program. Ae you ready for the Sport Chalet style, I don't really have the time for hearing that Sport Chalet is not a dive store crap, either.

165.00 for PADI OW tuition, classes must have 4 or more to begin with
masks fins and snorkel 240-350
65-80.00 for books
50.00 for 2 day rental
4.00 for the folder
20.00 for the processing to PADI and the temp card form
8.00 per passport photo from USPS x 2 that is 16.00
defogger 4.75-7.00

At this whole time PADI just nickel and dime you and the SSI program is less hassle, really. The book has much more information than the PADI, too. Where I am taking it, my SSI instructor only works 2-4 at a time plus work around my schedule unlike my PADI instructors who whom will only do that kind for more money 350.00 charged on tuition alone! This is why I have more of a grudge against PADI.

As for many pairs of fins, I usually like to collect a line of products if I truly believe in them no matter the circumstances or my deficiency for my diving experience. Heck, I have went through 3 engines on my 98 honda civic (my fault.
The engines didn't break is that I wanted a better engine) and this car still called old reliable amongst my family, so far for my 6 year driving experience I had 3 honda civics and one subaru wrx sti. I traded in the 06subaru for an 06 civic ex. I like my hondas much more and thus, I collect products on a brand that I truly believe in.b That goes along with Force Fin.

As for beings set on why I am set on SSI because I like their structure much better, it is a take home program and not as near pressured as PADI's program. That LDS is very close to me, I honestly don't have many dive shops to choose from here.

As for purchasing a fin is because I don't see it in my budget right now. As for borrowing from a friend, I can do that.

Meesier42,

here is the information.

GR8DIVN > Home owned by Vickie and Ron Ruiz

my instructor is Anthony Romero.
Your Instructor

Meesier42, I called SSI and was linked to Watson whom he is part of the education department and told me that they can't do anything about it because they only supply the materials and don't mandate of a certain standard withing these malpractices.

There are some cheesy snorkeling fins out there that aren't good for scuba, and if you really had them it would be perfectly reasonable for an instructor to tell you to get something better. But since you don't, he's either clueless or trying to sell you stuff you don't need. I wouldn't buy fins from them on principal, I agree borrow or buy cheap on eBay if you must take class from him. Though I worry about taking a class from anyone who is either clueless or trying to sell you stuff you don't need.

You should separate in your mind what is really coming from the agency, and what is coming from an individual shop or instructor.

I really don't understand collecting a brand of products, but whatever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom