SAC rates for "Everyday Joe's"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So everyone will dive the same depth and runtime?

What is the rough depth and estimated runtime?
Everyone will be on the same depth and runtime, with two minute intervals between buddy teams entering the water.
Depth is 65 metres/213 feet, total runtime of 148 minutes including 23 minutes of working time on the bottom.

..... I don't think they were lying, so I can't explain it.

No, They're lying..... :)

or believe that because they have a longer bottom time on their over-pumped 120 steel than the guy with the 80, they have a great SAC rate.

When I am doing large scale planning, like you are currently, I use 0.7 cuft/min. That is a little high for the average diver that will be conducting the types of dive you'll be doing, but it also makes it a little more conservative. Chances are if a diver is bailing out, they aren't going to be at their normal 0.5 or below RMV, so 0.7 takes that into consideration.

What it DOESN'T take into consideration is any sort of significant CO2 hit. If your study area is small enough, you might consider staging a good chunk of emergency gas on the bottom, on the line, and at a deco station. You can't carry enough for a big hit, it would have to be staged.

Also, depending on how much physical work you will be doing at depth, you might want to get hold of some people that do actual work at the depths you are talking about on CCR for advise. There aren't very many of them. Diving to 65M and swinging a hammer at 65M are not the same thing.
0.7 seems like a good number to work with and might enable everyone to use 2x 100 cu ft for bailouts from most events except CO2 hits.
The vessel is only 45 metres/150 feet in length so a fairly small area.
A lot of thought is being put into the line and deco station because with the boat anchoring in those depths it won't take much of a variation in wind direction to swing the boat off the wreck.
They will need to swing the hammer very slowly at those depths, but hopefully it will be more brain than brawn work

0.7 seems like a good number to work with and might enable everyone to use 2x 100 cu ft for bailouts from most events except CO2 hits.
I think 0.7 is a good working number for the active part of the dive. It should be less for decompression.

Like others have already said, some use SAC, while others use RMV. Descending down a buoy & staying there is way less work than finning out & back. To pass a test & dive plan test, use SAC but to dive plan for similar like dives, you can actually use RMV.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom