SAC rates for "Everyday Joe's"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RedSeaDiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm after some information on SAC rates for what I will call "Everyday Joe's" - Everyday Joe is someone who works behind a desk, doesn't run or workout, and is about 10-15% above optimal bodyweight for their height, but is a reasonably experienced diver.
Any info would be appreciated.

Infrequent diver, wish I was that close to ideal BMI. Male, 56, 5'11 240.

First dives on a trip usually 0.65 to 0.70, by the third day I'm back in the zone 0.55 to 0.65 with an average just under 0.6

I'm after some information on SAC rates for what I will call "Everyday Joe's" - Everyday Joe is someone who works behind a desk, doesn't run or workout, and is about 10-15% above optimal bodyweight for their height, but is a reasonably experienced diver.
There's a thread for that Average Gas Consumption it's in the Basic Scuba forum.

As you see, @arew+4 ends up pretty much at the average by his third day.

I'm after some information on SAC rates for what I will call "Everyday Joe's" ...//... Any info would be appreciated.
Calculate your 'couch SAC'. Get a fresh tank, mask, couch, and TV.

Relax and get your optimal baseline as something to compare your real world diving to. Comparing to other divers comes later...

Somewhere in the 0.5s cu ft/min appears to be the average. 0.75 is quite high, somewhere in the top 15%ile
As a scientific type, I feel comfortable saying that the survey says more about the sample bias than actual air consumption. I think you'd be lucky to find an ordinary group of divers averaging below 21L a minute. The average diver goes on fewer than one trip a year.

I wonder how useful this knowledge would be. The same person in different gear would have different SAC rates. The same person, gear constant, would have different SAC rates if doing different activities. Etc.

FWIW,

rx7diver

As a scientific type, I feel comfortable saying that the survey says more about the sample bias than actual air consumption. I think you'd be lucky to find an ordinary group of divers averaging below 21L a minute. The average diver goes on fewer than one trip a year.
Being a "scientific type" myself, I agree, all polls on SB are highly biased by the sample. This topic has been previously discussed Is this the average diver? This particular poll has a considerably larger number of participants vs. most other SB polls. It you have better data on the OP's question, please share it.

Personally, I have my RMV for 1,792 of my last 1,814 dives, 0.36 +/- 0.04 cu ft/min (mean +/- std dev) with range of 0.24-0.63 cu ft/min. @rx7diver knowing your own average RMV is valuable in helping to predict gas needs. The average will reflect changes in gear and changes in the diving environment. You learn how to adjust your RMV to match gear and conditions. For me, the only factor that approaches exertion level in predicting my RMV is being cold. Every year in my diving in Florida I dive in water temperatures between the mid-high 60s and the low-mid 80s. Accordingly, I dive my 3, 5, or 7 mm full suit with or without a 5/3 mm hooded vest every year. This keeps my RMV remarkable stable. Nothing beats your own data :)

I suggest that @RedSeaDiver2 start tracking their own RMV, like @wnissen probably does.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom