Sabang, Puerto Galera Nightlife Errrr

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iHateBanana

Registered
Reaction score
I've been to Sabang, Puerto Galera twice for my certification and fun dives. I love the dive sites there and the people running the dive shop I dove with (Action Divers). I also love strolling along the beach, town, bars or market for fun but because I was diving during the day, I only got to do other activities at night.

Sabang, at night, can be really scary though IMO. I'm a Filipina and, because of that, I carried my camera around my neck so everyone would know that I'm a tourist and I won't be mistaken for a streetwalker or whatever. I like observing how locals and tourists interact but not in THAT kind of way.

Anyone who's been to Sabang? What do you guys think?

As my dive buddy put it, "I imagine that this is what Saigon must have looked like."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dress conservatively, don't advertise your body, and you really shouldn't have any difficulty. I've always considered Sabang as rather low key. Of course, pretty girls tend to attract attention most everywhere.

I guess as long as you don't hang around these bars / nightclubs you should be fine.

The few times I have been there I rarely left the Dive Resort (Asia Divers / Atlantis Dive Resort) I was too tired to wander out, preferring the resort bar for a couple of drinks before bed.

I did wander around during day time and it looked pretty awful to be honest, more alley ways than streets.

Sabang is pretty gentle compared to other places in the Philippines.....according to a friend. I spent one night in Angeles when I flew out of Clark- I'd heard the stories but that town is hardcore for the Philippines.

Were you being called out by drunk foreigners?

As an aside, it took a lot of guts for my girlfriend to be out with me at night. She was a 25 year old school teacher, but could have passed for a teenager. While not a lot is said out loud, we still got looks. I was 28 at the time and we were together for a year and a half.

Philippines pales to Thailand for that kind of thing though IME. I was in Phuket by myself doing some kite-surfing in the north. No wind to speak of so went down to Patong for a look. It was low season and pretty empty and one of the worst experiences of traveling alone I have ever had. I went out for a few beers- ended up depressed at the soi scene and found a local dive off the way, and ended up getting massively drunk with an old Mama-san. English couldn't have been her major at university, but she sure could drink and somehow we ended up playing a thai version of a drinking game that I know. Worst Chang-over of my life the next day- couldn't get out of bed so stayed another night. Luckily couldn't find the same bar.

I guess as long as you don't hang around these bars / nightclubs you should be fine.

Were you being called out by drunk foreigners?

I just pass by them. Sometimes I cant help but look, though, to see what's going on. In one of the bars, I heard the foreigners cheer when their team scored and when they all sat down, I saw their Filipina ladies dressed in itsy bitsy clothes. And in the other bar, when I walked by the first time, there were like 15 ladies in their bikinis dancing on a table. But when i walked by again, there were only 2 or 3 ladies left. I can only imagine what's going on there.

Sabang is pretty gentle compared to other places in the Philippines.....according to a friend. Philippines pales to Thailand for that kind of thing though IME.

Ya, I guess. I'm just not exposed to that kind of thing. LOL

I can only imagine what's going on there.

Well out back there is a special room where they go for.... (just kidding).

They're drinking, watching sports and some are watching the girls. This is not a new thing in the world- been happening since the Gladiator shows in Ancient Rome. Prostitution happens in all countries in the world- the oldest profession as they say.

Sabang, at night, can be really scary though IMO. I'm a Filipina and, because of that, I carried my camera around my neck so everyone would know that I'm a tourist and I won't be mistaken for a streetwalker or whatever. I like observing how locals and tourists interact but not in THAT kind of way.

Anyone who's been to Sabang? What do you guys think?

I think Sabang is by far the seediest dive destination in the Philippines. Camera around the neck was a good idea, but not really necessary as it does not take a "trained eye" to tell the difference between a lady of the night and a diver/tourist. I have had this discussion with several Filipino Diving Families, who say they would like to visit but because of the seediness have not spent their time or money there..

Cheers,
Roger

I just pass by them. Sometimes I cant help but look, though, to see what's going on. In one of the bars, I heard the foreigners cheer when their team scored and when they all sat down, I saw their Filipina ladies dressed in itsy bitsy clothes. And in the other bar, when I walked by the first time, there were like 15 ladies in their bikinis dancing on a table. But when i walked by again, there were only 2 or 3 ladies left. I can only imagine what's going on there.
Ya, I guess. I'm just not exposed to that kind of thing. LOL
1. May I ask which girlie bar in Sabang shown sport on TV?
2. If you had been to certain section on EDSA, Roxas Blvd, Quezon Ave and Bugos Street in Manila, then you won't be offended by what you had experienced in Sabang.
3. Do you know the meaning of "GRO" in all those sing along bars all over the country?
4. Time to open your eyes, it is your country afterall!!

---------- Post Merged at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:37 AM ----------

I think Sabang is by far the seediest dive destination in the Philippines.... with several Filipino Diving Families, who say they would like to visit but because of the seediness have not spent their time or money there..
If they would stay at Big La Laguna or even Coco Beach Resort, they wouldn't notice the seedliest at all.
How many places in Philippines or anywhere in the world are devoided of seedliest?
Bunch of hypocrite!!

Back
Top Bottom