S95 + SubSee Diopter or upgrade to G15?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MermaidLaura

Registered
Reaction score
Here's the rub...

My everyday go-to camera is an S95 in ikelite housing and when I get the chance to do some slow, relaxing holiday diving I use my Canon 600D with Sea and Sea RDX Housing. My favourite subject is nudibranchs but I don't get the detail or magnification I want with my S95 or Canon with 60mm macro lense.

So, the quandry is... do I get a SubSee Diopter (and which one) which, with the 67 mm thread should (does it?), screw onto my S95 ikelite housing and get the adaptor so that I can use it with my RDX Housing and 60mm macro lense (will it?).

OR --- do I upgrade to the G15? I really like the fantasea housing and as this is my basic camera I don't want to spend too much. The thing is, even with its great macro capabilities, will I be happy with my nudi pictures without a diopter (and then that won't fit the funny Fantasea port).

Does anyone have an S95 with the diopters (and which one) and what are your thoughts - any good? Or shall I just bite the bullet and buy the G15 with its great macro capabilities?

Any advice would be appreciated....

Thank you!
Laura

My girlfriend has the S95 camera and it has good macro capabilities; not as great as a G12 or G15, but it's still good. She also has a Inon UWL165 macro lens. Before I can recommended whether or not you should upgrade, how about saying more about how you shoot. What mode do you shoot in, what kind of strobes do you use?

Your Canon with 60mm should be able to fill the sensor with a Nudibranch, but you have to get very close. I mean nudibranch touching the port close. The same goes for the S95, but not quite touching the port. The S95 has a 5cm focus distant, which is 2".

No camera out of the box will provide macro capabilities like those you see here on SB or in magazines, If you want excellent detail of rinophores etc. you need lenses. The S95 can work with diopter lenses and provide excellent results.

Mixing threads and adapters is problematic from what I understand. You may have to bite the bullet and choose one of your cameras to focus on your macro hobby, then buy the appropriate lense(s) to fit the housing.... or buy another housing to accommodate both.

I have an Inon UWL165 for my S-95. I don't know if the 67mm will screw on your Ikelite housing. I have a Canon housing and Dyron adaptor. But the thread means I can use the lens on many other setups later. There was a bit of learning curve to the 165 but it shoots great macro photos and video. I'm going to stack another 165 on next.

Thank you - so it looks like I need to get the Inon UCL165AD for my S95?

By the way, I am currently getting my port as close as I can to the subject - until I can no longer get focus and the port is definitely not touching the nudis :D

Shooting AV in the S95, M in the 600D

Aperture 8 in S95; 16 - 22 in 600D
ISO 100 both
Speed 250th in 600D
RAW
Auto white balance
1 x Inon Z240 strobe
What have I missed?

Thanks for your feedback.

Laura

Thank you - so it looks like I need to get the Inon UCL165AD for my S95?

By the way, I am currently getting my port as close as I can to the subject - until I can no longer get focus and the port is definitely not touching the nudis :D

Shooting AV in the S95, M in the 600D

Aperture 8 in S95; 16 - 22 in 600D
ISO 100 both
Speed 250th in 600D
RAW
Auto white balance
1 x Inon Z240 strobe
What have I missed?

Thanks for your feedback.

Laura

Nope you need an inon ucl165-m67 for your ikelite housing
Also try and shoot in manual as the camera defaults to 1/60 shutter speed in av mode and you really want at least 1/250

Thanks Interceptor!

Aaah yes, manual..... and then manual strobe setting... which I just don't seem to be able to master with the Inon S240. I wonder, sometimes, whether I have got it on the wrong settings!? I set the left hand dial to manual, don't press in the button on the rhs and dial with the right hand dial for strength, right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom