S95 pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which kit? I happened to have a powershot a570 which then after reading a book upgraded to an Ixus 980 just to discover it didn't really have manual controls so went back on eBay
I have a reflex that I don't take in the water and an s95 with a recsea housing and a complete set of inon ad lenses. A sea and sea strobe and ultralight arms with a fix focus light. Soon I will add a sola video 1200 for my mini video
I was actually thinking of publishing something but not a book people don't read really...
Martin edge book is good but doesn't really cover compacts
Other books to me are either not clear or contain some serious errors in the theory that mislead readers

Martin edge book is good but doesn't really cover compacts
this book covers all the tech knowledge and the best way to get a good underwater shot and it makes no difference if you have an SLR or compact you can learn a lot from this book, i cant see what else he could actually include that would help compact users, other than real beginners stuff [and thats not what martin is about, it also it doesnt take much to understand that there are more f.stops on SLR and what the relevant compact ones are. anyone who wants to advance their UWP should get this book

The book covers compacts to an extent
In fact chapter two tries to explain what are the key differences between a small sensor camera and an SLR
If you do understand those differences you can then carry on reading the rest of the book and adapt what it says to your compact gear
If instead you think that the difference is just more fstops you end up using unneeded settings that will result in pictures worst than you could take
Compact cameras offer significant more depth of field than SLR but are also much more noisy so when you are looking at a shot taken day at say F8 ISO 200 by Martin and you try to take a similar one you will end up with something very different and that's not because an SLR is just better

Appologies IC,

I just assumed that you had all this kit you talk about and have first hand experiance of it, because you know everything so well

We have similar set ups, but you really know your stull, and unfortunately I don't

I think people do read, and I actually do think you should publish something just because your knowledge is so extensive

I hope you hvae a great bank holiday weekend

L

Which kit? I happened to have a powershot a570 which then after reading a book upgraded to an Ixus 980 just to discover it didn't really have manual controls so went back on eBay
I have a reflex that I don't take in the water and an s95 with a recsea housing and a complete set of inon ad lenses. A sea and sea strobe and ultralight arms with a fix focus light. Soon I will add a sola video 1200 for my mini video

If instead you think that the difference is just more fstops you end up using unneeded settings that will result in pictures worst than you could take
apologises if i gave the impressions that i thought f.stops was the only thing in martins book that compact users needed to translate from slr to compacts, it was just a subject that sprung to my mind from my book which i know is different between the two rigs. im not sure i quite understand your sentence

Compact cameras offer significant more depth of field than SLR but are also much more noisy so when you are looking at a shot taken day at say F8 ISO 200 by Martin and you try to take a similar one you will end up with something very different and that's not because an SLR is just better

do you mean if martins picture is taken at f8 and a compact users does the same??? if so that is what i mean by knowing the relevant f.stop for use on compacts [which of course would be a lot lower than F8...possibly F2.80] to get a similar shot.

considering there are no advance compact camera books out there [plenty of beginners one marias being one of them] martin edges book is still the book to own and read [and read it many times as knowledge advances so you pick up more and more from his book] until someone produces one aimed at advanced compact use.

incidentally i can not recommend martins edges course enough, whether you are a SLR or compact his knowledge and teaching are perfect for advance photographers

@ MantaBabe

I'm going back to North Carolina soon :eek:)
Where are you based, I think I read somewhere about green UK waters in one of your resent posts

Maybe we can together and write a 'more advance' compact book
I figure we have enough knowledge and illustrative pictures both good and not so good to make points

.... and, publishing in the US is much cheaper then here

Drop me a PM and let's talk about this more

I have a few personnal friends who are magazine editors + journalists in the US + Australia, I'll grab some thoughts from them as soon as I go back home next month

@ MantaBabe

I'm going back to North Carolina soon :eek:)
Where are you based, I think I read somewhere about green UK waters in one of your resent posts

Maybe we can together and write a 'more advance' compact book
I figure we have enough knowledge and illustrative pictures both good and not so good to make points

.... and, publishing in the US is much cheaper then here

Drop me a PM and let's talk about this more

I have a few personnal friends who are magazine editors + journalists in the US + Australia, I'll grab some thoughts from them as soon as I go back home next month

hi layla i have just PM you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom