S95 pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably with your inon in combination with the wide angle lens you will need to spot meter
The water colour is really light I don't see why the camera is selecting such high ISO and shutter speeds. I would start forcing shutter speed to 1/125 and ISO to 100 and see what the reading is

Umm the camera didn't choose the iso, I did, also on my screen the water doesn't look light. Also, I feel that the lightness of the water is purely subjective, some like it dark and some prefer it light. On my screen water looks exactly as I remember it.

So that was your choice. You could have also tried other things
1st iso 200 f4 1/160 -- Could have shot this at 1/80 100
2nd iso 200 f4 1/50 -- Correct choice at 1/50 you are at the limits
3rd iso 320 f4 1/160 -- Could have shot this at 1/100 200
4th iso 320 f4 1/160 - as above
5th iso 320 f4 1/125 - Could have shot at 1/80 200

The camera metering seems not to consider the light a great deal. I wonder if using spot would make the camera feel the light better however the rest would be darker

All in all I basically don't like the Av and Tv modes of the canon cameras...!

Lenny26, you may have already seen this elsewhere in these forums, but if you hold down the S button, you essentially get control of the rear control wheel by hitting left (macro button) or right (flash button).

James

He is shooting with flash off, aperture set at F4 and setting the ISO manually
In effect he could set the aperture to F4 in the C mode and then shoot manual
The canon metering are not the best no point letting the camera choose the shutter speed

James, thanks for the tip, I didn't know about it and will definitely try next time.
Interceptor121:
It would make absolutely no sence to use a spot meter because the scenes are relatively flat lit.
Also, any camera's meter is calibrated to expose for 18% grey, thus with any camera you would ether shoot in manual to get the exposure that you want, or would pick aperture or shutter priority and use compensation.
Now, given my experience, underwater conditions, alignment of the moon and stars I chose to use the aperture priority and compensation, given that I shot these in raw and post processed them I. Could have went with any combination of exposures, the ones I chose or the ones you suggested.
Whilst your exposures would have worked, I dont feel that they are much off from what the camera chose and noise difference between iso 200 and 320 is negligeable.
If I wanted perfect exposures I would've shot in manual, since I wanted to relax and work on the pictures later I chose aperture priority.

I think your video light creates a hot spot in the center of the scene hence the suggestion for spot metering
Anyway you can shoot successfully in aperture priority but seen the lack of movement in the scenes you could have opted for lower ISO, there would have been no motion issue as there is nothing moving and you would have ended up with less grainy pictures
I thought you wanted some feedback and not just a pat on the back?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom