S90 Housing, Strobe Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spoobs

Registered
Reaction score
I have the S90 which I plan to take snorkeling. I do not want a very bulky setup and will use 1 strobe (at least initially). I have read about the Canon, Ikelite and FIX housings, and would consider any of them if they offer a clear advantage over another for putting together an ideal package for snorkeling. I have a Olympus UFL-1strobe which I could use, but it is not very powerful. I have seen recommendations for the Inon S2000 and Ikelite AF-35 kit. What would make the most sense with each housing for snorkeling? Any recommendations? Thank you.

I cannot imagine that for snorkel diving use you would want or need more than the Canon housing, the least expensive of the three current choices for this camera.

The strobe is easy, either a D2000 or S2000 Inon or if you want to go low budget the Intova strobes might be workable.

Another good option for the strobe would be the Ikelite AF35 system with either the Ikelite housing or Canon housing.

N

Nemrod, Thanks. If I go with the Canon housing and the S2000 strobe, can I expect the sTTL to work well without an optical cable? What else would I need for tray/arm, etc?

Get the cable, or make your own.
Without the cable you'll have to make sure that the camera flash triggers the INON sensor. That limits where you place the strobe, and it still won't work 100% time. I know, I used the Inon S2000 without a cable on a trip and missed some shots.

I'm happy w/ my Iklelite+Inon S2000 -- haven't used any other housing to compare with.

I agree with the investment in the fibre optic cable. I tried wireless before and it's a great concept, but in practice it's just too unreliable.

Thanks for the recommendations regarding the cable. If I am using a cable, does it make sense for me to use the Olympus UFL-1 strobe I already have (similar to YS-17, guide number is 14) and top mount it on a FIX housing for a compact system rather than buying a new strobe and Canon housing? The price is only a little more for the Fisheye housing vs Canon housing plus S2000 strobe. I will only be snorkeling.

If I were you I'd get the canon housing and the S2000 strobe. You won't regret buying the Inon S2000 strobe... for the price, functionality and size it's impossible to beat.

To attach the strobe get a compact tray with a loc-line arm. It will allow you to position the strobe easily, but will still be compact. Being able to move the strobe around is really a big deal in my opinion for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I often move the strobe around to get the correct lighting into nooks and crannies. Secondly, to reduce backscatter you want the strobe as far away from the lens as possible. If your strobe is fixed onto the top of the housing then neither of these is possible.

Keep in mind that I'm no expert so please take my opinion for what it is :)

I am sticking with my original thought here and anferney is spot on I think.

That said since you ask about the FIX housing. IMO this housing is a marvel of engineering. It is small and well built and offers full control of all camera functions and may become the top of the food chain rigs for anything short of a dSLR. Comparing a FIX90 housing to the Canon is like comparing a BMW to a base Hyundi.

N

... Comparing a FIX90 housing to the Canon is like comparing a BMW to a base Hyundi.
N
At 4 times the price ($800 vs $200), that comparison seems somewhat accurate ( BMW 3 $32,850 - $50,700 vs Hyundai Accent $9,970 - $16,995).
Can't wait to see some pix from that setup. I doubt it is the path I will follow, but it seems to be garnering a lot of interest. I sure like the compactness of it without strobes and those new mini strobes from Inon should make a great compact package.

Since I have the Ike strobes already, I think MY next step is a T1i in an Ike housing unless the folks at FIX have something up their sleeves for the T1i.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom