S Drill Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For someone diving very frequently and by training is expected to perform a full S-drill every single dive, yet not comfortable with the potential to catch something, I think it's a very valid question. In that case modified S-drill is the way to go.

I'd always do a full S-drill with a brand new buddy though.

The other side of the coin is, what can you be exposing yourself to? I'm thinking the donor is most likely to be symptomatic anyway in case of something like an upper respiratory disease, and anything else you should be a lot more likely to get by kissing someone anyhow. [end pure speculation - anyone actually have a clue?]

I suppose you could always keep a few sanitary wipes in your pocket for emergencies.

Frankly, I'd suck a fart out of a donkey's ass if that's what it took to make it to the surface alive ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What James (amascuba) said!!!!

I wish I had the lines to put that in my sig . . . That is SO on target!!!

The other side of the coin is, what can you be exposing yourself to? I'm thinking the donor is most likely to be symptomatic anyway in case of something like an upper respiratory disease, and anything else you should be a lot more likely to get by kissing someone anyhow. [end pure speculation - anyone actually have a clue?]
FYI, it's well known that sick people are "infectious" prior to the onset of symptoms. That being said, I don't think that a scientific study has investigated how readily a viral or bacterial respiratory infection can be transmitted to a diver via saliva on a regulator mouthpiece. My thought is that the mouthpiece will get a little ocean water rinse in-between diver use. That should decrease the chances of transmission somewhat (lowers infectious dose of the bug). Assuming that the "healthy" diver is not immunocompromised, I'd think that the risk of transmission would be very low.

Sorry, but if you are that germaphobic maybe you shouldn't be finning around in an unnatural environment on life support. If you need air, take it. If you don't trust your buddy's hygiene, find a new buddy. Don't mean to be disrespectful, but I think it's a silly question. You practice like it's real, so when it IS real, you can stay alive. JMHO

I suppose you could always keep a few sanitary wipes in your pocket for emergencies.

Frankly, I'd suck a fart out of a donkey's ass if that's what it took to make it to the surface alive ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

:rofl3:

Bob,

You SO owe me a new keyboard.

And on a personal note, I sincerely hope it never comes to that (for both your sake and the donkey's) :D

That just made my day.

Best wishes.

Best post ever!!!

Train as you will fight . . . says the military.

Train as you will live -- you're out of air, bud. Get over the modified c***.

(yes, I don't have many dives, but a whole load of years training people for stressful environments.)

spectrum,

I understand what you are getting at.

But I guess I've never seen sticking someone else's reg in my mouth as a big deal. :idk:

When I was certified, actual buddy breathing was still taught and practiced (octos were just beginning to appear, but were not widespread). If you were squeamish about something like that, well, you didn't pass the course.

My feeling is that we need to practice in the same way we actually plan to share air in an emergency. If you donate the primary, then that is the way to practice.

And for the record: I don't practice nearly enough. Next dive I'll practice with my buddy... maybe a little buddy breathing just for old time's sake too :wink:

Best wishes.

Sorry, but if you are that germaphobic maybe you shouldn't be finning around in an unnatural environment on life support. If you need air, take it. If you don't trust your buddy's hygiene, find a new buddy. Don't mean to be disrespectful, but I think it's a silly question. You practice like it's real, so when it IS real, you can stay alive. JMHO

Agreed

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom