RV options for florida ( probably keys)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jf3193

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Good evening. We recently bought an RV to travel with. Living in South Carolina, we want to hit the keys and other parts of Florida multiple times this year.
Anyone have any suggestions for RV parks/state parks that are close/convenient for good diving? We love the keys, but I’ve always wanted to explore more of the florida coastline ( BHB, etc).
Open ended question, but just putting out a feeler.

Up until hurricane Irma, one of our favorite spots was Sugarloaf KOA. Twenty miles north of Key West and about seven miles south of Looe Key Reef Resort. We could dive with Looe Key Resort in the morning and hit Key West for night time fun......

Unfortunately, they are still rebuilding and are not yet open.

If you are retired military, there is always the rv park on Sigsbee in Key west.

Good evening. We recently bought an RV to travel with. Living in South Carolina, we want to hit the keys and other parts of Florida multiple times this year.
Anyone have any suggestions for RV parks/state parks that are close/convenient for good diving? We love the keys, but I’ve always wanted to explore more of the florida coastline ( BHB, etc).
Open ended question, but just putting out a feeler.
I've camped the state parks in the keys and if you can get in, any of them would be convenient to good diving but they're ridiculously in demand, especially during the winter. Luckily summer has better diving and more availability.
Pennekamp has full hookups, a good ramp, and a dive op on site, but the campsites aren't very special. The reef there has many good dive sites, many good snorkeling reefs also, and some wreck sites, which you can find all up and down the Keys actually.
Curry Hammock has nice campsites, ocean views, beach access, but no dive op or ramp- it's mostly kayaks and SUPs there, and it's electric and water only, so you have to be careful or you'll be dumping frequently. But it's near Marathon and there are dive ops there, and all up and down the Keys actually, that can take you to worthwhile dive sites and wrecks.
Bahia Honda has electric and water, a good ramp, snorkel tours, a limited number of waterfront sites adjacent to a channel cut in the rock which can be fun to snorkel along with the bridge that's right there. There are actually nice beaches at that park also but not at the campground itself. Bahia Honda is near Looe Key which is a terrific reef with lots of megafauna. It's a pretty shallow scuba site but if you want to swim with reef sharks and jewfish it's the place to go.
I never stay at private campgrounds in the keys; during season they're nearly as expensive as a hotel and they resemble mall parking lots for the most part, but they may be a good option in the summer if you can't get into a state park.
Other places in Florida where you might want to camp include many state parks and national forest sites in spring country, which is actually most of Florida, and also I'd recommend trying out Jonathan Dickinson State Park as a base of operations for some great drift dives out of Jupiter. I've dove on Divocean with Scuba Works there and I heartily recommend them.
Good luck, happy camping and stellar diving.

Thanks full throttle!
Yea we prefer more of a state park or more quiet environment as opposed to the “ resort RV campgrounds”.
Thanks for the info on Jupiter also.

Only ever stayed at Sugarloaf KOA in the Keys but they are still rebuilding I guess. There is an enormous RV park north of there that fully rebuilt shortly after Irma - it might be Sunshine Key RV Resort and Marina near Big Pine Key. That puts it less than an hour from Key West and minutes to Looe Key or Marathon. It looks very nicely kept from the road, but it's an RV sardine can.

I just booked a few days at Key Largo Campground & Marina; electric and water, a couple of little beaches, looks nice enough; will be my first trip down there with an rv, will post up a few thoughts after my trip.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom