Rusty painted LP72 tank: worth saving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It’s a sad day today…. I sold the Healthways tanks.

I put up a couple of FB Marketplace ads for both a pair of Aqua Lung LP72’s (vinyl coating and epoxy liners) and this set of Healthways doubles. The pair of singles sold quickly, but I left the ad up in case someone else wanted a pair of 72 singles: I could tear apart these and sell them.

Sure enough, that’s what happened. So I’m now without the two pairs of tanks I put so much effort into two years ago.

I thought I would update this post and show everyone what they looked like at the end. This is what they looked like yesterday, after probably 30 or 40 reasonably aggressive (St. Clair River) dives.

IMG_2283.jpeg
IMG_2284.jpeg

Again, the camera hides some of the flaws. Having said that, just looking at them from a distance, they are really in pretty good condition. No paint peeling or major chips or flakes. If you look closely, you will see some small chips or scratches and of course the metal below them has rusted. What can you do: they’re just raw steel with a coat of paint. It’s not armor. :). So a big thumbs up for the Krylon John Deere yellow spray paint.

I’m pleased with how the stickers have held up as well. For simple laser printed labels applied to the tank, they really have held up well. Of course, they’re not just office labels, they are waterproof and chemical resistant labels. But it’s not like they were wildly expensive, I just bought the blank labels on Amazon…

Why did I sell them? Mainly because I’ve decided to become (more of) a snob: I want to replace them with hot dipped galvanized tanks. I picked up one set of galvanized LP72 doubles that was unfortunately painted. Paint doesn’t seem to adhere real well to galvanized tanks, so they look quite leprous; but I don’t think the zinc cares. And one set of LP 72 doubles is sufficient for most of my needs. Plus, I picked up a set of LP50 Doubles that can help to fill the gap as well.

But hopefully sometime in the near future I can pick up a second set of galvanized LP72 tanks to take these place and give me the inventory of two sets of doubles which I want.

So anyway, if you think of it tonight, pour one out for the vintage Healthways tanks moving on to a new chapter of their lives. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom