Rust (streaks?) in steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The staining you showed earlier was perfectly acceptable to use as is. The slightly pitted image could have been cleaned up with a bottom brush and blown clean.
It was rejected by the shop doing the VIP.

So you are saying I need to redo and use CO2 or nitrogen? (Something without O2)?

I was using diluted phosphoric acid

A little flash rust without any other issues like pitting, etc. like that is acceptable (though obviously not for your shop). What you could also try is a 70% isopropyl alcohol rinse after your whip / tumble to get rid of the dry residue and any moisture. Swirl around a 1/2 cup and dump it out and it should dry quickly. I personally wouldn't use any sort of acid on my tanks. Alternatively just get trained to do visuals and O2 cleaning and avoid that shop!

It was rejected by the shop doing the VIP.

So you are saying I need to redo and use CO2 or nitrogen? (Something without O2)?

I was using diluted phosphoric acid
Then the person at the shop looking into tanks is an idiot.
That staining in no way affects the breathability of the gas. If there was chunks if rust, pitting, or darker heavier rust with texture beyond staining that is different.
Shops get spoiled looking into brand new tanks thinking all steel tanks need to look like that to be good, but slight discoloration on otherwise good steel is perfectly acceptable. Then there the possiblity that they are just trying to generate income by claiming the tank needs to be cleaned.
Their compressor their rules, I guess. I’ll been in that exact same spot with shops, but I do my own cleaning way beyond what they are capable of doing. I bought a brand new tank (E7 3442 100) from a shop once and they gave me two free air cards with it. I only used that shop to fill the tank. After a year I took it back to that shop and we pulled the valve off to find it caked with brown rust! WTH!!
They accused me if going somewhere else and/or using the tank on a charter boat, etc. I told them they are the only ones to ever fill that tank and they basically destroyed the inside if my tank and I was pissed. Their compressor was terrible. They wanted to charge me to have it cleaned plus the VIP plus the air fill. I told them where they could stick it!!!
That’s when I designed and made my own tank cleaning tools and it came out spotless. The only time I set foot in that shop again was to gloat and show little miss sales lady my cleaning job. They were actually impressed, and when they wanted to put a VIP sticker on it and fill it for $25 I told them I’d take the sticker for free for my trouble after they f_cked my tank and they could keep their air fill. They took it as an insult of course and after a few choice words back and forth I left and never set foot into that sh_t hole again, F ‘em!!

Also, a whip to clean followed by a flush should be done with what is essentially boiling water. If properly hot enough, when dumped and inverted, the temperature is hot enough the surface dries itself..... Out of caution, the dryer can be used, but get it closed up before temperatures change and the humid air can condense on the surface (don't leave it open for hours).

That staining in no way affects the breathability of the gas. If there was chunks if rust, pitting, or darker heavier rust with texture beyond staining that is different.
Shops get spoiled looking into brand new tanks thinking all steel tanks need to look like that to be good, but slight discoloration on otherwise good steel is perfectly acceptable. Then there the possiblity that they are just trying to generate income by claiming the tank needs to be cleaned.
Their compressor their rules, I guess. I’ll been in that exact same spot with shops, but I do my own cleaning way beyond what they are capable of doing. I bought a brand new tank (E7 3442 100) from a shop once and they gave me two free air cards with it. I only used that shop to fill the tank. After a year I took it back to that shop and we pulled the valve off to find it caked with brown rust! WTH!!
They accused me if going somewhere else and/or using the tank on a charter boat, etc. I told them they are the only ones to ever fill that tank and they basically destroyed the inside if my tank and I was pissed. Their compressor was terrible. They wanted to charge me to have it cleaned plus the VIP plus the air fill. I told them where they could stick it!!!
That’s when I designed and made my own tank cleaning tools and it came out spotless. The only time I set foot in that shop again was to gloat and show little miss sales lady my cleaning job. They were actually impressed, and when they wanted to put a VIP sticker on it and fill it for $25 I told them I’d take the sticker for free for my trouble after they f_cked my tank and they could keep their air fill. They took it as an insult of course and after a few choice words back and forth I left and never set foot into that sh_t hole again, F ‘em!!
So you sell any of these tools?

I could easily pay to have this done. However when I open my own dive center, I'm going to have to be able to do all this stuff and more. So best that I start learning now

I do plan on getting a compressor in the next few years so that I'm adept at breaking it down and rebuilding before I have the actual need as if the compressor doesn't run or the boat doesn't run, the business doesn't run

So you sell any of these tools?

I could easily pay to have this done. However when I open my own dive center, I'm going to have to be able to do all this stuff and more. So best that I start learning now

I do plan on getting a compressor in the next few years so that I'm adept at breaking it down and rebuilding before I have the actual need as if the compressor doesn't run or the boat doesn't run, the business doesn't run
You bet, I’ll PM you with details.

You bet, I’ll PM you with details.
To those wondering, I enjoy the learning process when seeking perfection. While perfection is typically unattainable, a lot can be learned along the way.

What ^^^ Eric said!

It was upside down with PVC pipe blowing air to the bottom of the cylinder (so pointing up) via a hair dryer duct taped to the PVC pipe. This ran for a number of hours before I had to leave and the cylinders remained upside down in the drying rack I built.
How did your wife feel about having to walk around with wet hair during this (admirably creative) tank drying experiment? lol

When I've cleaned out tanks before, I just used a different full tank with a 1st stage on it and a LP hose with no 2nd stage. I inverted the wet tank, pushed the hose in, and opened the valve. That's a serious blast of dry air and it dried things out really quickly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom