Rust Inhibitor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster1

Reaction score
Was at my buddy's yesterday doing tanks. He was doing an o2 on faber 95s. the tanks were clean before he started just not ready for nitrox. He tumbled them with simple green solution and rinsed well a couple of times. problem was on the last rinse he used corrostop (sp) to stop any flash rust and sure enough after repeated trys continiously the tanks after shooting scuba air in the tanks to dry they would still rust. I think the problem was the rust inhibitor he was using. anyone else have this problem??

You might have Your Buddy read the MSDS on the chemicals He used. We use an acid based rust inhibitor for the Tugboats, Derricks and barges. We have to use supplied air in the compartment after the inhibitor has dryed.
The MSDS is a letter from the manufacturer describing the chemicals with lots of data that is not needed for Your application. It's better to err on safety.......B--

Use nitrogen to dry the tanks. Also use very hot water for the rinse. The combanation of the two will stop flash rust from forming.

you mentioned they were faber tanks, but I thought I would mention, Simple Green damages Aluminum. A few years ago i used simple green in my solvent tank (trying to use something less toxic) and left some parts in the washer overnight. The Aluminum parts showed signs of pitting, not deadly for bicycle parts, but I wouldn't want even think of risking it on an aluminum cylinder. Just posting for everyone else out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom