Rust? after hydro on steel tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree with oldschoolto

As an owner of many steel tanks (love them-one is still one my dad used, born date 1960), if your hydro guy doesn't love and understand steel tanks or was in a hurry that day you end up with not getting the tank fully dry and getting flash or worse rust spots like you seem to have. My hydro guy understands steels but several of my tanks had to be tumbled after being hydro'd - it's actually VERY annoying. My old dive store owner retired and I never had a chance to talk to him about it as they just took care of my tanks and I never had a problem - new LDS (several now) and I no longer trust them to fully dry my steel tanks - even the guy I work with all the time now.

All that said, if you tank passed hydro/visual, you are good - but I'd clean that out as soon as possible and ensure it's dry and get it filled with dry air. Over time, those spots will/can create pits which will eventually fail certification. As long as the future fills are dry the tanks will stay clean. Due to the above issues with LDS's, I got PCI certified so I understand the tanks better and now routinely ensure my tanks are clean. Even built a tumbler to ensure they are maintained by me and I'm confident what the inside looks like at all times.

Fill it and use it just keep it topped off after every use. Don't let it sit around empty. Look in it a year from now and if kept topped off it should look like it does now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom