Russian citizen mauled to death by tiger shark off Egypt's Red Sea coast in rare attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"According to a statement by the Russian state-owned news agency TASS on Thursday evening, the Russian consulate in Hurghada confirmed that a 24-year Russian citizen, Popov V.W., who was a permanent resident in Hurghada, died as a result of a shark attack off the coast of the city in the afternoon hours."

A tragic incident. As others noted, this man was on the surface, which is the case in nearly all shark attacks. There is a lot of solid information about shark attacks on humans at this Florida Museum website, all of which suggests that responsible divers are not likely to be attacked by sharks. A diver was mauled and killed by a tiger shark at Cocos in 2017, but she was on the surface waiting for a skiff, not at depth—something worth mulling over from a best-practice perspective when exiting a dive in sharky waters. A friend asked me to photograph or video him and others doing freedive spear fishing in bull shark waters . . . I declined.

When a claim is made that authorities have taken 'the' specific individual animal that killed someone, whether a shark or crocodile, I wish they'd explain why we should be convinced the one they caught is the one that killed.
I take a step further, even if catching THE specific individual, which often results in killing it, achieves what exactly? I can come up with plenty answers myself, the real question is, do any of them make sense???

A mountainbiker fell off a trail here in Florida and ended up in the river, was bitten (maybe killed, can’t remember), an alligator was killed and trails were closed for a long time. Did killing 1 alligator made it any safer? Was it not known to anyone there are alligators in the area? Did authorities then believed there were just that one alligator in the area? Did authorities believe only this small area has/had alligators?
I have a hard time coming up with any sensible answers

Egg laying season??
1686253989323.png

Thanks!

I dove with Tiger Sharks in Tiger Beach. What DM told me was to keep eyes on them at all time, forget about the other sharks around (Lemon, Grey Reef, etc.) and be ready to punch them on their nose (or push down their tonic immobility spot) if they are approaching you. Otherwise, this what would happen to you (see the video, below).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom