Running the boat over my head after back roll.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing to note is that a lot of newer divers are often overweighted. As they dive more, weight tends to get removed as they get more comfortable and get a hold of their buoyancy skills. They are also less nervous which I think tends to have an effect. With that said, I can understand the idea why a newer diver doing a negative entry can be less than ideal as there is a risk they can sink straight to the bottom after backrolling which in turn can pose some barotrauma and other issues. Although, the counter argument to that is that could still happen when they deflate their BC to descend after being positively buoyant as they go down to dive. To that I say, they might not be deflating it all the way in that moment or situation and their hand is probably already on their inflator hose ready to inflate and counteract/stop/slow the sinking down rather than possibly panicking as they are uncontrollably sinking.

Takeaway message....be properly weighted then it won’t be an issue. :)

On another note, we were diving in the Red Sea and after having been on a liveaboard doing many negative entries the last week, we were diving with a day boat while we waited for the boat to be turned around for us to get back on and do another week. My dive buddy did a negative entry out of habit from the previous week and the guide got really annoyed when he didn’t pop up. He was partly worried because he thought something happened but also wanted to speak to us while also ensuring everything was OK before the dinghy driver moved away. In those conditions and visibility, a quick glance down and around confirmed he was just hanging around waiting and I can understand why that might be a more significant issue in some areas where viz is not good.

To be clear, I am not specifically for or against either method. I think there’s a time and a place for both, and a giant stride for that matter, and it should be discussed with the group and agreed upon, especially safety procedures when it comes to the boat and the prop. I’m just trying hard to see both sides of the “argument”.

I’ve done live drops and pick ups before off the back of a liveaboard boat (Similans, I’m looking at you), but all entries in the water were prohibited until the captain rung a bell. For pickups, each group had to have a DSMB in the water not only for safety from other boats but so that the captain could also see where everyone was relative to his boat for the pickups.

In the Philippines, the bangkas often did moving drops but I think (I hope) the prop is in neutral with the boat in a forward momentum. You backroll into the water between the outrigger and the boat. They don’t have everyone do it at once, maybe 2 or 3 people on each side that are not directly next to each other. Then the group that was directly next to you goes after you are clear of the back of the boat. The bangka continues forward as everyone splashes. If you have camera gear, you get it after you splash and the boat driver hands it to you towards the back as you float by the back of the boat. It was efficient and it ensured everyone was out of the way and way behind the boat away from the prop by the time it was time to take off.

To be clear, I am not specifically for or against either method. I think there’s a time and a place for both, and a giant stride for that matter, and it should be discussed with the group and agreed upon, especially safety procedures when it comes to the boat and the prop. I’m just trying hard to see both sides of the “argument”.

I think this sums up my takeaway also. Certain conditions/scenarios warrant certain strategies. The other thing I've learned from this thread is that communication with the DM and captain is critical to ensure that everyone's on the same page with respect to how each diver is going to enter the water (pos/neg). I'm certainly gonna have that conversation on my next dive trip!

It's awful that such a horrible incident is forcing these discussions, but on the flip side I've learned a lot from the posts on this thread.

That only makes sense. I don't wear hoods, so I didn't know that strategy. Were you able to figure out if he just never fully disengaged the prop, or did he engage it on the drop?
He did fully stop the engine when i did the back roll, he started it on my head before i got up on the surface. And another thing that i still cannot understand - one of my clients was already in the water. So he made him jump without me being on the surface... This dude went out of his way to make me look bad on every single occasion he got.

He did fully stop the engine when i did the back roll, he started it on my head before i got up on the surface. And another thing that i still cannot understand - one of my clients was already in the water. So he made him jump without me being on the surface... This dude went out of his way to make me look bad on every single occasion he got.

I hope this question is not misinterpreted, but how did your head get close to the prop? Obviously the operator should not have put the boat in gear without assuring all divers are clear, but how did you get in that position?

People have asked me to describe how I think is best to do this type of entry and the technique I described should preclude the diver's head from being close to the prop, regardless if it is turning or not. A diver can split their head on a stopped prop as well.

I hope this question is not misinterpreted, but how did your head get close to the prop? Obviously the operator should not have put the boat in gear without assuring all divers are clear, but how did you get in that position?

People have asked me to describe how I think is best to do this type of entry and the technique I described should preclude the diver's head from being close to the prop, regardless if it is turning or not. A diver can split their head on a stopped prop as well.

It all happened in split seconds. I do back roll like usual, like previous 200 times off that boat and before my head touched the surface it was run over with the prop. He didn't need to move the boat, he did everything to screw me over, that's all.

I didn't move, he started the boat and moved it over me

Does he have a record of other "incidents", not just scuba related?

Does he have a record of other "incidents", not just scuba related?
He ran over a swimmer two weeks after my accident and apparently it was worse than my case. It was all hushed to prevent chaos and scaring off tourists. He has broken many PADI standards during my work there...

Don't know about other incidents, but could be. Smoked weed like I drink water...

Back
Top Bottom