Runaway Inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aren't all OW classes taught that one of the possible responses to an power inflator failure is to disconnect their LPI hose? If disconnecting is acceptable under certain circumstances, I'm assuming that not connecting it may also sometimes also be acceptable.

Or is it a more specific set of conditions where you (the previous poster) were thinking this was a bad idea?

I dont see where it would be a set condition to leave it unattached.....If you are planning on not using a LPI, why not find one that is manual only for those instances....If it freeflows, you can removed it...I have heard of a 1st stage and a second stage free flowing before, It would want the LPI attached, so i can inflate my BCD and take air from that in an emergency. I just like having that option available to me, if something happens it is a pretty quick removal.

BTW, just a thought, if you were totally screwed......you could possibly breathe in and out into your BCD manually while ascending. It would not be great air, but it would be better than water. I always try and keep that in the back of my mind in case of emergency....It might give you that extra seconds to find an alternative...

hollywood703:
I dont see where it would be a set condition to leave it unattached.

Its a risk benefit thing. leaving it unattached means you would have to manually inflate it which is more work/hassle. The benefit is that there is no risk of it spontaneously inflating.
With cold fingers and a deco obligation a stuck on inflator could kill you.if I were crazy enough to dive ice I would seriously consider leaving it off.

I ice dive a few times a year.....I wouldnt even consider removing it...If you are worried that your second might free flow, would you disconnect it? If properly diving with appropriate "cold water regs/inflators" that are properly serviced, the chances of failure, significantly decline...I guess I personally dont see how much of an advantage you really achieve.

It would want the LPI attached, so i can inflate my BCD and take air from that in an emergency.

spare air? ..how would that work exactly, in a scenario?

I dived with mine disconnected awhile, because it was sticking and it was easier to just put a puff in it if needed.

hollywood703:
I ice dive a few times a year.....I wouldnt even consider removing it...If you are worried that your second might free flow, would you disconnect it? If properly diving with appropriate "cold water regs/inflators" that are properly serviced, the chances of failure, significantly decline...I guess I personally dont see how much of an advantage you really achieve.

Not much, just if it freezes up, being disconnected means it's not a health hazzard.

Just to put it into perspective for you, the fellow who died was a very experieinced and skilled technical/cave dvier, he dove high end cold water rigs, and maintained his gear and his buddy on that dive is not only a very experienced tech/cave diver as well, but a reg tech to boot.

I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that the quality and maintenace of the gear was not a factor, it was just a freak gear malfunction due to extremely cold water.

I'm also willing to bet that if you see his budy out on an ice dive this upcomming season, he'll have the LPI disconnected.

hey charlie ,

disagree man , motor cars when first out didnt come with window screens . modern advancemant and understanding of safty came to the conclusion that window screens are a safty device ,

now likewise for divin . to aid a diver and lift them the part of removing your mouthpiece inflatin a jacket clearing mouthpiece ,repeating as many times as nessary all whilst having to controle or keep a victim calm has been removed for best practice sake . if oral inflation was vest practise it would still be in the rescue sylibus as first option .

i started divin with a horse collar (ABLJ) and harness . this was the best availble at the time . then modernise ation took hold and the bcd came into its own right .

the small button on your inflator is not a modern convience its a must . esspicaly if you have a victim arm flailing .

my opinion not picking a fight man .

If it was an Air/2 or simiar, you really can't continue the dive with it disconnected, because another diver may come up to you and expect to share air, and with only one regulator, you'll have nothing to donate, and will have turned an annoyance into a possible double fatality.

Couldn't you just buddy-breathe your primary?

-Charles

Couldn't you just buddy-breathe your primary?

Yep. But, in the one-in-a-million chance that some frantic diver crashes into you, clawing at your primary....it might be nice to hand them their own. They likely wouldn't hand yours back. However, if diving with my trusted dive buddy as a duo, I'd easily disconnect my AIR-2, orally inflate if needed, without thinking twice.

Hey Comspy...welcome.

The only thing that I would add here is to not allow yourself to get rushed. The crew have varied quite a bit on the boat dives I have done...most great, a few not so much. Some are patient and helpful; assisting each diver to the stern, doing another pre-dive check before each diver enters, while a few seem to think that getting you to the site is all that is expected.

Regardless, just get into the habit of doing a pre-dive check yourself, then you and your buddy check each others. Once you start doing it each time, it sort of becomes second nature. Never feel rushed by the crew to the point to where you can't do your pre-dive checks. If you need a little more time, tell them. They should be accomodating. In the rare occasion they were not, tell them it's just too damn bad. Your safety comes first.

Happy diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom