Runaway Inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What brand of inflater was it? I have had occasional problems with Aqualung (USD) inflaters

mine has been Halcyon or before that whoever made "Luna"...that one was plastic. Kevin Davidson the photog and Mr Fix-it at Sam's in Palau claims they used the wrong (too soft) silicone o ring which couldn't rebound to stop the airflow at a certain resistance.

I soak my SS inflator in Lime Away from time to time and then pack it with silicone.

catherine96821:
mine has been Halcyon or before that whoever made "Luna"...that one was plastic. Kevin Davidson the photog and Mr Fix-it at Sam's in Palau claims they used the wrong (too soft) silicone o ring which couldn't rebound to stop the airflow at a certain resistance.

I soak my SS inflator in Lime Away from time to time and then pack it with silicone.

You mean you still haven't replaced that POS SS inflator?!

Catherine, really now. Weren't we going to take up a collection at some point so you could get rid of that thing and get the plastic on?!

:eyebrow:

...actually, Ken is sending me one as of..Friday.

Doing the burial at sea and having it stick under fifty props circling overhead finally convinced me.

Hi Catherine,
Yes, I remember talking with you. I will get an inflator sent out to
you
right away, one thing I ask is if you could send me the old one back so

we can take a close look at it internally.

Regards
Ken

I feel the need to prove it. lol It's my fault not Halcyon's. I have a SS fetish.

Comspy,

I noticed you mentioned trying to swim down.

I am not sure if it was the case in your situation, but when the human being is inverted in the water, our lung capacity goes up and we become even more bouyant.

many a new diver has found that the harder you try to swim down, the harder it gets to swim down. Much easier to get the right way up, relax, dump air and breathe out.

Try standing on you head on your next dive to see the difference it makes to your bouyancy.

catherine96821:
...Get good at recognizing the problem and disconnecting it with aplomb...quickly.
I cheat a bit by having a Dive Alert on my LPI. I has a very nice knurled grip that makes it easier to disconnect from the inflator hose. .

Masochists that dive in water so cold that they need to wear heavy gloves should look at adding those gizmos that make it so you have a couple of large prongs sticking out from the hose coupling to make it easier to grab.

I just had partially stuck inflator on my air2. I was at surface just signalled down and heard a slow sporadic bubbling sound. and took a few moments to figure out it was not air leaking but air going into.... I could not get it to repeat after I hit the inflator for more bouyancy while I tried to figure it out..... so maybe a peice of sand???
It is in the shop now.

Masochists that dive in water so cold that they need to wear heavy gloves should look at adding those gizmos that make it so you have a couple of large prongs sticking out from the hose coupling to make it easier to grab.

That's why I have Tobin's hose hats on all my LP inflator hoses.

Interesting.. the BC I was using was a Luna. White plastic buttons? Yup! That was me.

We've had problems with a few inflators...the worst being the Zeagle. No matter what we did it seemed like one would stick during every class. The cheap trident inflators seem as hardy and dependable as any of them. I don't recall every having a problem with one of those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom