Runaway Buddy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbulmer:
Diver A and diver B and C were possibly too close to each other. ... So, how do you teach situational awareness?
IMO, buddy formation is very important in reduced vis. I am almost always the least experienced diver present and prefer to let the person who knows the site lead. I think it is important to discuss formation ahead of time. I find that on a wall or steeply sloping bottom, it works best for me to stay on the outside of the lead diver at shoulder position. The lead is probably using the bottom/feature contour as part of navigation, so I am not always in the way. This necessitate a change to the other side when we turn the dive. No problem, if the leads knows ahead of time.

A little tougher if there are three in this scenario. Maybe one needs to be on the inside and maintain a position slightly above the lead but at the shoulders. Opinions?

My main point is to discuss what formation is expected with the others as part of the plan.

do it easy:
I think it helps if everyone takes turns leading a dive and being responsible for keeping track of everyone and watching pressure guages. It gives you a sense of where you want people to be and how you want them to act. I dive with some divers that like to the follow the leader.
Excellent post.

dbulmer:
awareness ... - it's easy to talk about but often difficult to put into practice without getting it wrong a few times.
All the more important to discuss formation ahead of time and have a plan for that as well as 'where are we going'.

Great thread. I bet Rick planned it that way. I love reading threads like this. So much more beneficial than ones that get off on tangents and arguments about the actions of one of more of the participants.

Willie

It was interesting to watch Diver #1 (or was that Diver #2?) several days later. He still had his face stuffed into Rick's fins but had learned to take a defensive posture with his hands (still in the official DIR pose) blocking each kick. :D

wet-willie:
A little tougher if there are three in this scenario. Maybe one needs to be on the inside and maintain a position slightly above the lead but at the shoulders. Opinions?

Formations can be tricky and the "best" one will be different for different dives and different divers. For three on a wall, I think that staggered might work where the middle buddy is outside and slightly back around waist level, maybe further out at shoulder level, if vis is good. The third diver would be behind the first. The trick here is that the second buddy is now leading the third and has to relay info to the first. If the first signals OK?, the second diver should check on the third diver so that the first diver doesn't have to turn completely around. This will work best with divers who have been diving together for a while. The "quick check" could be as subtle as the first diver looking to the second and making eye contact, then the second diver looking at the third and then looking back to the first, although typically, the divers would be using lights and would passively signal. As far as the turn goes, I've rehearsed this with some of my buddies-It's kinda like a domino effect- leader turns and as he "runs into" the other divers, they move away from the wall and turn facing the wall (to stay oriented). With lights, a line formation could work as well- in which case, it's fun to be at the end and see the OKs get passed all the way back.

For insta-buddies, this probably wouldn't work. Again, it will all depend on the dive and the divers.

wet-willie:
I find that on a wall or steeply sloping bottom, it works best for me to stay on the outside of the lead diver at shoulder position. The lead is probably using the bottom/feature contour as part of navigation, so I am not always in the way. This necessitate a change to the other side when we turn the dive. No problem, if the leads knows ahead of time.

The last time I tried this my buddy kept punching me when he tried to dump air from his drysuit. Now I try to stay on their right side. :11doh:

Katherine,
I appreciate your posts, in particular the ones in this thread. I am the diver involved in the described incident, the choice to ascend from the 37 foot level was not made lightly or without looking at the options at the time. Our dive was to around 100 for a several minutes to view a GPO then a safe controlled long ascent to off gas safely and effecvtively as discussed in the dive plan. Unfortunately I was having challenges with my dry gloves staying dry and subsquently paid the price with very cold hands. When the reg was flicked out of my mouth it was just after an exhale...I was behind my two partners and took a short bit of time to feel for the bungeed reg, my sense of touch numbed by cold fingers was not at it's best...my partners (superb divers and good friends)were unaware of my situation and from my perspective gently moving away, I continued to look for my reg and then made the decision to surface as my DCS potential was minimal. During the ascent I found the reg and descended to relocate my partners...at this point I elected to do a slow...ascent and then reconnectred with my friends. It was a sobering and learning experience, quite valuable in many ways.

I debated to write this post as my ego kept on getting in the way, but the saying "good judgment is often the result of experience which is often the result of not the best of judgment" kept coming back. In retrospect and from reading the very good and helpful posts on this incident the responses have been both supportive and helpful.

My partners for this dive were the two most safety conscious and considerate divers I have had the pleasure to dive with, I look forward to many more dives with them.

This incident in particular cemented my intent to train more for the unexpected and to increase my skill base.

Sincerely

Robert Ordner

Robert Ordner:
my partners (superb divers and good friends)were unaware of my situation and from my perspective gently moving away, I continued to look for my reg and then made the decision to surface as my DCS potential was minimal.

so, next time, flash your light, grab any part of rick you can put your hands on, drag him back to you and rip his long hose out... dont be too shy... =)

lamont:
so, next time, flash your light, grab any part of rick you can put your hands on, drag him back to you and rip his long hose out... dont be too shy... =)
Yes, please. :D
Uncle Pug:
It was interesting to watch Diver #1 (or was that Diver #2?) several days later. He still had his face stuffed into Rick's fins but had learned to take a defensive posture with his hands (still in the official DIR pose) blocking each kick. :D
Trying out my new "flog" kick. :D
Robert Ordner:
... I look forward to many more dives with them.
How about Tuesday??

Thanks for posting Robert.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom