Runaway Buddy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robert Ordner:
Lamont,
Great point and appreciated,!! that gemstone of advice shall stick...
Thanks
RTO

I think I'm going to take it to heart as well, and start practicing letting my buddies rip the reg out of my mouth... We need to get much less shy about our OOAs...

Ben_ca:
I think there's something to be said about practicing your skills... :11doh:
I know some people don't like them, but an integrated inflator/octo is easyto find, even if you are panicking.

Since I've been in three person groups before, and am near to a trip where I may well be in a three person group, I have enjoyed and benefited from the comments and perspectives here. My questions and comments are:

1. In an ideal world, I guess that Robert's "preferred" first action was to have tried to grab any available part of Rick (though that may have been difficult, per Robert's comments)?

2. If one of the group (or even one of a buddy pair) is a photographer, you should address the photography issues in the pre-dive? For example, do the non-photgraphing buddies kinda hang around and wait while the photographer takes a pciture?

3. Why do you guys dive in water that is cold enough to make you numb, and there is no viz? :) That is fun? :)

4. Many thanks to Robert for posting.

Robert, glad you posted! I thought you all proceded in a logical way. having things happen and then being "inspired" to think them through from various angles is priceless.

(i was just kidding about the slap thing) :D

Valwood1:
1. In an ideal world, I guess that Robert's "preferred" first action was to have tried to grab any available part of Rick (though that may have been difficult, per Robert's comments)?
Well, as I said, I was alerted that something was wrong, and saw Robert making the mad surface dash because I felt him kick me as he was heading up. How far away could he have really been? I guess the definition of "far away" depends on if you have a reg in your mouth or not. eyebrow
Valwood1:
2. If one of the group (or even one of a buddy pair) is a photographer, you should address the photography issues in the pre-dive? For example, do the non-photgraphing buddies kinda hang around and wait while the photographer takes a pciture?
Uncle Pug was the photographer in the group, and he kind of just swims up to something, takes a couple of quick shots and moves on. If he ever stops and takes any time at all, it's something worth stopping and looking at for the non-photogs, too, and we're happy to hang there for a bit.
Valwood1:
3. Why do you guys dive in water that is cold enough to make you numb, and there is no viz? :) That is fun? :)
YES!! :D Come dive with us some time.
Valwood1:
4. Many thanks to Robert for posting.
I'll pass it on. Right now he's somewhere in the south diving that lake where they flooded the graveyard they filmed the movie Deliverance at.

Actually, my oldest daughter lives in Seattle, and I've thought of combining a visit to her with a diving trip, but am not drysuit-certified. Any time of year when you can get by with, say, a 7mm farmerjohn, etc? I did that in NZ and was only freezing (1) during the SI, and (2) mid-way into the second dive. :)

My brother-in-law in North Georgia once said solemnly, "Bill, do you remember 'Deliverance'? It's just like that in the North Georgia mountains." Comforting thought for Robert, I imagine. :)

I've been on a couple of charters with people who ONLY dive wet in the Sound, and have done so for years. And they LOOKED like reasonably normal people :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom