Rude Divers on the Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a bit surprised by some (emphasis on "some") of the items mentioned in this thread. To me some of the items are just not worth getting fussed about. We're divers. People are strange, especially non-dives but I digress. Let's sing it all together . . ."let it go, let it go, let it go. . ."

Because you wear booties and nobody can see your toenails?
Partly that (although I'm not using booties, but rather two pairs of socks plus drysuit boots), but mostly because I've never painted my toenails and probably never will :)

Partly that (although I'm not using booties, but rather two pairs of socks plus drysuit boots), but mostly because I've never painted my toenails and probably never will :)

Oh man, no pics?? I bet you have the cutest lil' hobbit feet. :eyebrow:

Well then your guess is probably correct: you'll never be a serious diver.

Well.. I usually have the biggest knife around... Push my lady like that and I unleash hell!

Attachments

• 3-reasons-to-have-a-dive-knife.jpg
    3-reasons-to-have-a-dive-knife.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 418
My experience was the real experience diver will help you and makes you feel welcome all the time. The rude one are the wannabe experience diver. I had been with a group of cool diver in Cozumel who help me after a lot of screw up. Later i found out 4 of the 6 are dive instructor and cave divers.

I put the following 2 divers up for consideration of joining the rude diver club (although I didn't let their actions bother me.) Out of hundreds of divers I've met and dove with, these are the only two I can think of...just don't see it in my diving.

1. Had a bragger diver on a boat dive with an expensive camera that would try to get your attention to pose for pictures.
2. Boat hit some choppy water and a guy, who looked to be in his 30's, sitting in front lifted off of his seat about a foot and slammed back down on the cushioned seat several times. Cussed the rest of the way out to the dive site. Bad part was a young boy was on the boat.

Even if there were more rude divers in my life, I probably wouldn't quit. I still drive, go to stores, play golf, go to attractions with lots of people, etc... The thousands of rude people doing those activities didn't make me stop!

Not sure how I found this post since it is a few months old, but it's new to me & taught me something so I just had to comment. I saw a quote in the thread that said it was rude to dump your boot water on the deck. I do that & it never occurred to me that it was problematic. I'm guessing cause it is thought to contain more pee? In any case, I'll dump it over the side of the boat from now on. Oops.

My two cents:

98% of the time, I've found divers to be friendly & nice especially since I avoid cattle boats & research the ops ahead of time. (I vacation dive mostly by myself ~4 times a year from local Caribbean to exotic places like the Solomon Islands. Been on a few liveaboards. Once in a blue moon, I dive local NE cold.)

For the problematic 2% of the time, I've found that I get the best results by taking the rude person aside to politely & quietly point out the issue. I've definitely had some doozies in the 2% though...

At 120 ft, a diver slammed down on me from above & kicked the reg out of my mouth.

Someone continuing to smoke after I politely asked them not to citing nausea....& then blowing smoke directly into my face. (A long time ago, I was a smoker. I get having a nic fit, but if someone asks you not to smoke, it's rude to continue & even ruder to purposely blow the smoke directly at the person.)

An insta-buddy who literally walked over 100ft of coral to take photos.

Major harassment by a few older know-it-all guys re: my gear & diving. I'm always open to someone saying: hey, have you ever thought of X, but this was way over the top.

Shoved out of the way with 2 hands by a guy with a GoPro who then told me topside that he had the priority to see the "good" stuff because he had a camera.

A dr in his 50s in a banana hammock w his 22 yr old "student" in a string bikini grinding on each other...on a tiny boat.

My topper: Wreck penetration & a guy shoves in front of me so he can get into the wreck first. Then, when inside became Mr. Kicky. At one point, he began backing up very quickly & closely while kicking furiously. No one was behind me so I backed up quite a bit to move away from him...into a nasty piece of metal sticking out which ended up with me having to get 11 stitches.

We haven't meet any jackssses yet, ymmv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone continuing to smoke after I politely asked them not to citing nausea....& then blowing smoke directly into my face. (A long time ago, I was a smoker. I get having a nic fit, but if someone asks you not to smoke, it's rude to continue & even ruder to purposely blow the smoke directly at the person.

I have found smokers to be the rudest, most inconsiderate people I have ever met. Some not but many are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom