RSTC Swim Test and US Navy Swim Test Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The NY TImes have been running several articles on the local lifeguard situation. One requirement is 50 yards under 45sec for both pool and waterfront. Still, pay is probably a bigger problem
I tried to read that article but the paywall for that birdcage liner publication prevented it. Can you copy and paste it?
The Nassau County Long Island Requirement for the pool test, to be eligible to take the Ocean test is a 50 yd pool swim in under 35 seconds. I was told by the NC DOH that their test is the 4th hardest in the. Country. No idea if that is true or not.

Again, going forward don't be surprised when you see the bar for standards being lowered.

I tried to read that article but the paywall for that birdcage liner publication prevented it. Can you copy and paste it?
The Nassau County Long Island Requirement for the pool test, to be eligible to take the Ocean test is a 50 yd pool swim in under 35 seconds. I was told by the NC DOH that their test is the 4th hardest in the. Country. No idea if that is true or not.

Again, going forward don't be surprised when you see the bar for standards being lowered.
Try this, I made a pdf.
I looked again- NYC 35 sec NYS 45 sec

Attachments

• NYC’s Tougher Lifeguard Rules May Help Fuel a Shortage - The New York Times.pdf
    17.6 MB · Views: 103
I try to maintain a fitness level such that at any moment I could stand up from this couch and complete an international distance triathlon which is 1.5K swim, 40K cycle, 10K run (I now sub in the elliptical). I was semi-pro for a short time in the late 80s. My times I shoot for now are 30 minutes for the swim, 90 minutes for the cycling and 60 minutes for the run. These are very mediocre times and thanks to a cycling crash some years ago (while training) that busted my leg badly my run times will never be good again and now thanks to a woman who felt her cell phone and vacuous life was more important than my well being and blew a double stop sign hitting me and ripping most of my right shoulder tendon from the bone I have not been able to swim until the last few weeks, nearly a year. It took me three weeks to get back to a very tepid mile taking me nearly an hour. A year ago, if I really wanted to, I could still get under 20 minutes for a swimmers mile. My normal cruising speed for up to three miles is 30 minutes to a mile.

I try not to worry myself with lifeguard (I was a WSI) requirements of what a Navy Seal can do. Instead I want to maintain a fitness level sufficient to have a good quality life and continue to do the things I enjoy as long as possible.

A combined workout I like do like one a week is to cycle 12 miles to the Y, swim my mile and then cycle home 12 miles and then take a nap and coffee :wink: and then do 30 minutes on the elliptical. I am 68, and yes, I want my nap :) .

James

Try this, I made a pdf.
I looked again- NYC 35 sec NYS 45 sec
I am not disagreeing with what you wrote. Nassau County is the County adjoining NYC on Long Island and the Pool test is 35 seconds for the 50 yards to qualify you if you want to work the Beach and 40 Seconds if you want to work at the Pool.
Thanks for taking the time to post that NYT article so I could read it, that came out in late August and I had not heard about it. I found it an interesting read. Again, I expect test Requirements to get watered down going forward so that more Lifeguards can be certified to keep pools and beaches open. I would like to see the stats on how many people fail the NYC 440 yard swim and by how much time they fail by.

I believe some patrols have even more difficult tests like Rehobeth Beach Delaware and some others. You can check the list of USLA Cert' Ocean Rescue Agencies that Trace posted to see some of the tests. Many agencies post the test on their web sites.

Nemrod if you can swim 1.5 miles in the Ocean in 30 minutes you should be working at the beach. Of Course, you can bike to and from work and run on your break or work out.

Nemrod if you can swim 1.5 miles in the Ocean in 30 minutes you should be working at the beach. Of Course, you can bike to and from work and run on your break or work out.
I said 1.5 kilometers. But 1.5 miles in 30 minutes, that is me, number 508 and it would not have been a problem:

I am not looking for a job, I am retired. I have already done the lifeguard thing.

N

30 minutes for 1.5 K or miles is a very good time either way.
1.5km in 30 minutes is good. 1.5 miles (2.4km) in 30 minutes is elite.

Instead I want to maintain a fitness level sufficient to have a good quality life and continue to do the things I enjoy as long as possible.

Bullseye on your outlook. Functional fitness for long life!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom